• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

What I spent My Allowance On (New Stuff For The Bench)

Started by marc_reusser, February 26, 2010, 02:28:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc_reusser

Another cool thing that was sent to me a week ago, courtesy of Alex at 'Uschi van der Rosten"  ( http://www.uschivdr.com/ )are scale plywood pattern decals. I am really curious to try these, as I have seen some stunning results done using them. The big sheets are two from his current line, while the smaller sheet is an early test/preview sample of some future patterns.

Here's an image from the UdvR site showing the product in use.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

marc_reusser

Lastly and by no means the least...actually quite the most amazing, is a set of custom painting masks for my current build, graciously supplied by Mal Mayfield, of Miracle Masks in the UK ( http://www.freewebs.com/miraclemasks/ ) [Thanks to Alex at UvdR) for putting me in contact with Mal], this set of lettering masks is so fine, and he was able to get the type so small, that I can't even see the cuts on the mask without a magnifying lupe (I first thought they were blank sheets, and was wondering what the heck!?...but under the magnifier they really came to life). I really look forward to using these. The masks came on the sheet shown, with full written and illustrated instructions.

M

M-Works

finescalerr

Aw, heck! Now there's nothing left to get for Christmas! -- Russ

Chuck Doan

Some neat stuff, the plywood seems like a good idea.

Ray, Mcmaster Carr has stainless fine mesh screen that can be had pretty reasonably. The really fine stuff can get pricey though.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

DaKra

How do the masks work?  When there is an opening in a letter, for example, how does the interior of the O stay in place?   Is it on a carrier film that's removed?   

eTraxx

Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

DaKra

Hey Ed, yeah saw that, but without having the product in hand, I'm still unclear as to how it works, particularly with very fine lettering as Marc mentioned.   Interesting also that the stencils are made with a high end plotter.  We had a thread here about plotters a while back, but it didn't go anywhere.  Still have a lot of interest and questions about these tools.   

Dave

marc_reusser

Dave, Ed,

Yes, there is a transfer film process, then after placing that is pulled off, and the parts that are to receive paint are removed, leaving the mask (including letter interiors). I have not tried it yet, as I am not at that point on the build. But Mal sent me enough masks so that I can experiment (screw up) on a test piece first.

Dave,  from my email corrspondence with Mal, he seems like a really nice and helpful fellow. You might just try dropping him a note with your questions.

Marc

M-Works

EZnKY

I know this is a bit off-topic, but this is what I spent my allowance on today!
Like most years, this went on sale this morning at 10 and was sold out before lunch.   I've never been able to get a bottle before, but this year I knew a guy who knew a guy and I was able to buy one.
It's especially cool because the rarity is not because its a commemorative or collectible bottle intended to sit on a mantel: they just don't make very much each year.  It's meant to be enjoyed slowly, and I intend to do just that during the winter months as I finish the long list of unfinished projects on my bench. 

Anyway, I'm going to smile at my new purchase for a bit while everyone else gets back to the topic at hand.
Eric Zabilka
Lexington, Kentucky

marc_reusser

Not OT at all. A very important tool....and yours seems to be of exceptional quality. Congrats!

M

M-Works

marc_reusser

FWIW, here are the sieves that I constructed with the two of the screen samples. While I was at it I also did a quick fabrication of a small scoop that I can use to place the irt and pigment exactle where I need (it should also come in handy for scooping small amounts of pigment ot of their containers).

M

M-Works

Gordon Ferguson

I'm glad to see you are trying to get away from your usual "slap-dash" methods Marc  ;D ;D

I have also come to the conclusion that your Wife needs to cut your allowance down considerably, then you would need to operate like the rest of us and pr-order stuff as presents ------------- some of of us are buying stuff now against  2014/5 Xmas presents.
Gordon

mabloodhound

I've put down the cheap Harbor Freight table saw but since starting my kit business, I found I need a fast way to get stripwood for the kits.   The 10" contractor saw just wouldn't cut it (sorry for the pun).
So I plunked down my $39 (got a discount on that) and then took it home.   Of course the table was too small and there's no fence with it.   I had some scrap countertop so cut a 12" square piece and mounted it to the original metal table.   I then made a fence from some PVC lumber I had left over.
It really worked great.   Cut enough stripwood for 40 or so kits in 1/2 hour last night.

Dave Mason
D&GRR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"A people that values its privileges above its principles will soon lose both."~Dwight D. Eisenhower

eTraxx

Crud. Now I have a sudden desire to visit Harbor Freight. :) .. looks good but .. what's PVC lumber?
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

marc_reusser

Very neat. ....Hmmm, I think HF just happens to be sort-of on the way to my client tomorrow.  ::)

M-Works