• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Retrospective

Started by Lawrence@NZFinescale, June 26, 2022, 01:26:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lawrence@NZFinescale

Another project embarked on initially to help a fellow modeller and then continued as a challenge.

The blue gig was supplied more or less as shown as a 3D file by a friend.  I reworked a little to produce the model shown here.  The process of doing that hooked me, so I visited the local historical society and measured up their example.  This was then drawn up to produce the examples shown here in yellow and black.

The yellow scheme was inspired by a contemporary internet pic.  The dark scheme is probably more historically accurate.

The basic horse was a purchased 3D model, to which I had to add all of the harness, mane, tail and so on.

The 3D printer does the hard work.  It's a pretty easy thing to assemble, though finishing takes all the time.  Reins are tissue paper.

1:64.
Cheers,

Lawrence in NZ
nzfinescale.com

Lawrence@NZFinescale

Another pic of the yellow gig.

Cheers,

Lawrence in NZ
nzfinescale.com

Ray Dunakin

Those carriages look great! Good job painting the horses, too. What scale is this?
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Lawrence@NZFinescale

1:64 Ray.  I did note it in the post, but it's hiding in a corner.

Technically gigs - in the local vernacular anyway.  One thing you learn when you break into the sphere of another hobby is there is a whole load of stuff you don't know.  HDVs (horse drawn vehicles) is particularly rich in esoteric detail.
Cheers,

Lawrence in NZ
nzfinescale.com

finescalerr

If you did all that in 1:64 without any help from your mom, especially painting those horses, you must be pretty good. -- Russ

Lawrence@NZFinescale

I'm very prone to 'enthusiasms'.  I rush off and do things that I'd hitherto had no interest in, and in which I have little ongoing interest, just to prove to myself that I can.

I have a wool wagon with a team of 9 draught horses that I should really finish.  The modelling is all done, but there's a lot of painting and connecting of chain to be done.
Cheers,

Lawrence in NZ
nzfinescale.com

Lawrence@NZFinescale

Another blast from the past that doesn't really fit the main thrust of my modelling endeavours.

An F class locomotive in 1:64 (Sn3.5) modelled in 1940 condition.

The model is from my own kitset which is a mix of etched nickel silver, cast bronze and 3d prints. The RP25-110 tires reflect the commercial aspect of the build and I really should replace the wheelsets with something scale.

Typically, yet another project embarked upon for the flimsiest of excuses that consumed my attention for some time. The Fs were a numerous class constructed by a host of builders over a number of years.  Initially quite variable, the supplied design was more consistent after 1880 and further harmonised in time with each trip to the shops. By 1940 many had been written off or sold on for industrial use. Dubs built F154 was destined to end up in private ownership bumping coal hoppers around at Charming Creek (A possible future layout). As modelled here it is still in mainline condition.
Cheers,

Lawrence in NZ
nzfinescale.com

Lawrence@NZFinescale

The real thing
Cheers,

Lawrence in NZ
nzfinescale.com

Barney

You are defiantly a man of many skills - lovely builds of all what you do
Barney
Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson

1-32

Morning Lawrence.
Yes a lovely locomotive but what caught my eye is the vegetation, is it scratch?
 so typical of New Zealand.
Regards Kim,over the ditch.

Lawrence@NZFinescale

It's my photo plank, originally made when I lived in the UK nearly 20 years ago.

Foreground foliage is primarily brass from my own etchings with various natural materials thrown in.  While I made most of the trees etc. the whole thing was worked over by Barry FitzGerald to produce what you see here.
Cheers,

Lawrence in NZ
nzfinescale.com

finescalerr

Your modeling really comes to life under a macro lens or, in the case of our forum, a much larger image than we were able to present before the software upgrade. Now it is possible truly to appreciate the fine detail and subtleties of finish. I always have looked forward to your photos and bigger pictures provide a much more impressive experience. Satisfactory. -- Russ

Lawrence@NZFinescale

Thanks Russ.

I agree the larger images are a big plus.  The interface is easier too, the old software was a bit of a disincentive to posting pics.
Cheers,

Lawrence in NZ
nzfinescale.com

Ray Dunakin

Beautiful work, and a really interesting loco. I like the unusual shape of the saddle tank.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Lawrence@NZFinescale

It was a reasonably popular shape for British locos of the period.  Difficult to model cleanly before 3D printers.  The tank is the only major 3d print, although things like the tool boxes are printed too.  I offered the kit with a choice of 5 different tank patterns (rivets/beading and front fixing angle varied between builders) so 3d printing was a godsend. 
Cheers,

Lawrence in NZ
nzfinescale.com