• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

whitemetal looking like wood

Started by RodH, June 07, 2013, 03:23:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RodH

I have wooden  disconnects cast in whitemetal. Can you give me some help on making them look like silvery grey hardwood timber?
Regards
Rod Hutchinson
Growing Old Disgracefully
Australia

Chuck Doan

Hi Rod!
Hope someone can chime in here. Other than maybe treating it with a blackeneing agent to start, I haven't tried to make metal look like wood.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

finescalerr

See if you can find some of Ray Dunaken's earlier threads on building plastic structures. Paint knows no difference between plastic and metal so his examples may get you going. If you are in no hurry, Ray's full article on that subject will appear in this year's (December) Modelers' Annual. -- Russ

lab-dad

I would start by graining the wood.
Then a chemical blackening for color (esp. any cast on metal areas) and "tooth"
Then some color using whatever medium you prefer.
There has been lots of threads here on wood.
Recently the pan pastels and references to using vallejo or oils as well.
Marty

Ray Dunakin

In a nutshell, here's how I'd do it:

First, clean the castings thoroughly to remove any traces of mold release agents, which would prevent paint from sticking.

Second, add some wood grain, if it does not already have grain cast into the surface. A 1/4" wide piece cut from a fine-toothed razor saw, mounted in a hobby knife handle, makes a good tool for graining plastic and should work on  white metal castings too (unless the metal is unusually hard).

Next, give it a light coat of white primer. Too thick, and you'll fill in too much of the grain details.

Now build up the color using your preferred choice of paint, thinned, not full strength. Layer it on a little at a time until you achieve the look you want. Most of all, get some good photographic reference to work from, and follow it as best you can.

A very thin wash of blackish-brown can be used to accent the grain.

I like to seal mine with a coat of Krylon UV-resistant matte clear -- but then, my models have to withstand constant exposure to the elements on my outdoor RR.

None of this is meant as "this is THE way to do it". It's just what works for me.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World