• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Wall rendering - I think that's what you call it !

Started by Barney, May 18, 2013, 02:54:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barney

Has any one out there got any thoughts on how to achieve a "textured look - rendered "on walls the scale will be 1/35th and the buildings will be of a low relief type
Thanks Barney

Hosted on Fotki

marc_reusser

We used to do stucco and "rough-cast" plaster on architectural models by sifting various weights of fine sand onto the surface when it was still wet with primer, or wetted with acrylic matte medium. The effects can be scaled and varied depending on the coarseness and mix of the sifted material...and how many layers (thickness) of paint were subsequently applied over the surface. (IE. for roughcast we would add in larger and rounder grains, and then add more layers of paint to smothe the grain to surface transitions, like on the real finish.....whereas on stucco/sand-finish type surface we sifted far more fine material, and then did a much thinner paint application, so as to get the more rough/sand-papery surface finish). there is a fellow that built masters for Verlinden...name escapes me at the moment....that IIRC did these types of textured surfaces using Milliput.

FWIW...Vallejo makes a couple of different grit Pastes/mediums.....but dont think you would get as even and controlled a surface as the firts techniqe above.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Gordon Ferguson

Barney/Stuart .......... Thought the dog was Barney :D

I have various trial panels using different materials & various layers of paint ......... I will bring them down to Shropshire and you can see if any fit in with your thoughts

Have you been to Ikea yet ?
Gordon

Mr Potato Head

Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

Alexandre

I've had convincing result using Gesso. That's basically acrylic medium, the one we use in fine arts to prime canvas.
What I like in Gesso, over other textured mediums I've tried, is its subtle and very versatile texture.
It can be worked to a dead smooth finish to virtually any grit. 

For you very effect : I'd use gesso over heavy cardboard, and do a stippling job with a soft stencil brush.

I may find pictures of my experiments with gesso somewhere if you want.

:)

shropshire lad

Barnacle ,

I have some buckets of fine silver sand ,so I shall stick some to a piece of card to see if it would be any good ,

Nick

Gordon Ferguson

Great Gill, glad you found your way out of Ikea, now did you remember to pick up what I needed ?
Gordon

Barney

Thanks for the ideas and Alexandre any photos would be a help - Gordon going next week to the Land of IKEA -Sat Nav set -flask of tea and some Jam sandwiches packed - any one else out there want anything from IKEA new Kitchen or some shelve units perhaps !! .Great chopping boards make lovely work space for cutting / drilling nice and square and a bargain at £1:99 for two.

Hosted on Fotki

Alexandre

So here we go. Excuse the random quality in pictures but some of these projects are old (most of them I don't have anymore).
I don't have the exact finish you're after, but this is some exemple of what you can super easily achieve with cardboard, cork, gesso, and some different texture brush.
As said, in your case, I'd recommend a stencil brush and stippling.

These slabs were textured that way. It's done to simulate concrete, but in some spot you can see the stippling texture :

Same thing here : You can see some of the ground texture between the rubbles.

Or this one :

And a crappy SBS I've done at that time :

This was one of my first modelling project ever from 2007 or so. I see so many errors and failures everywhere in it now but for our concern we can see the gesso over the bricks on the right.

finescalerr

Actually, your crude attempts are rather inspirational. -- Russ

Alexandre

Thank you Russ.
Well, searched the HD for more pics of this last one.
This was my first serious modelling project in December 2008. Before that I've had only painted a bunch of Warhammer figures (nobody's perfect and before going to the corner for the rest of the day I swear I have not touched a Warhammer figure again since early 2000's).
I've scratchbuilt this cretan Kafeneion (café) with cork and cardboard.
At that time, I wasn't concerned about these bricks pattern and if you look at it you just understand an house can't be build like that.
BUT BUT BUT I wasn't as lazy as I am now and it wasn't a problem for me to cut, sand and glue thousands of cork bricks and shape all the tiles from heavy paper.

Anyway, a sunday gift for you dear all, let's fire the flak on this one, I've got my parachute...

Sorry for the OT.

Barney

Alexandre - thanks for the photos -very nice - its all looking good to me - if this is what you call your old stuff whats your latest look like !!
Barney

marc_reusser

Alex,
Beautiful as always.

...and you wonder why I never get anything finished.  Maybe if you would stop raising the bar I would actully be  :)able to be happy with my work, and finish something. :)
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Bexley

There's no shame in painting Warhammer figures.
CounterClockwise

Bexley Andrajack

David Mullen

Barney, that photo wouldn't be at the Keswick Granite quarry museum at Threlkeld would it? Looks like Blencathra in the background.