• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Silverwood , alternatives

Started by Gordon Ferguson, October 05, 2012, 02:16:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gordon Ferguson

Hoping that someone here will help ?

Been playing around with alternatives to Silverwood stain ( which appears to completely un-obtainable in Europe)which look as if they could be worth pursuing , but I could do with some base line info on Silverwood itself

Ideally what I would like is a kind person to stain some strips of bass wood and post some pictures,

One strip I stained bass wood
One strip with one coat of Silverwood
One strip with two coats
One strip with three coats

Just trying to get a handle on the strength of Silverwood and how multiple coats change the colour

Thanks for any assistance
Gordon

Younger

I've been working with Silverwood and other stains (see my previous topic on fading), and put together a test panel of various stains to test the fading possibilites. The panel is exposed to flourescent lights about 16 hours/day. The strip of tape is used to prevent light from reaching part of the sample. I'll pull the tape in about 6 months to see how the fading goes.
-Jerry
-Younger

Gordon Ferguson

Younger ,

Thanks for posting that picture...... Exactly what I was hoping for and very useful & informative
Gordon

Mr Potato Head

will it hurt when you pull the band-aid off :o :o :'( :'( :'(
please say no ::)
MPH
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

Younger

Here is the test panel after two months. It is apparent that silverwood by itself fades rapidly. When used with other stains, not so much. I'll post another shot in a couple of months.
-Younger
-Younger

Gordon Ferguson

Younger thanks for the update .

My tests continue using Tamiya paint as a substitute for Silverwood , started with their X-20 thinners but switched to Tamiya Lacquer thinners after a lot of advice & guidance from Marc.

Getting closer to the effect I am looking for with old worn wood but still struggling for a "bleached" wood effect ............... not that bleached wood is something I come across a lot in the UK  :)

Gordon

lab-dad

Gordon that looks good.
Have you tried a swipe with fine sandpaper?
I know acetone lightens silverwood.......
Marty

p. s. any word on my wrench question

Ray Dunakin

Is Silverwood just a stain, or is it some kind of chemical treatment? Or both?
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

TRAINS1941

Ray

I think like most people do that Silverwood is a combination of Alcohol & India Ink or a black ink of some kind.

He could add something else to it but I think is just the amounts he uses to get the color.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

billmart

Quote from: Ray Dunakin on November 04, 2012, 04:20:55 PM
Is Silverwood just a stain, or is it some kind of chemical treatment? Or both?

Silverwood appears to be just a stain, much like India ink or shoe dye with an alcohol base.  I see no chemical reaction with it, unlike Weather-It.

Bill Martinsen

Lawton Maner

OSHA requires vendors to have copies of the MSDS sheets for any chemical they sell on hand for the purchaser to read before buying.  Ask for it the next time you visit your dealer and watch his/her reaction when it isn't there.  Also vendors are required to provide them when asked.  Se your local safety and health officer for the section of the law which applies and quote it when a vendor refuses to hand over the sheets.  If you don't get a positive reply, just forward your request to the local office, and I assure you the vendor will give you a reply once they get their a*** chewed out. 

BTW, my local OSHA rep was a college chum of mine.  Last inspection was conducted over lunch at a Pub in W********, VA.

Younger

Hi guys, attached is the test panel after 7 1/2 months. As you can see the Silverwood faded badly, along with some others, but other weathering/staining colors seem to be impervious to the flourescent lights 16 hours/day.
-Younger

marc_reusser

Very interesting. Thanks for taking the time to do and post this.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

mabloodhound

For my personal use, I like #10 and will have to try that.   
I was using India ink but the leather dye looks better.
These tests are very revealing, thanks.
Dave Mason
D&GRR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"A people that values its privileges above its principles will soon lose both."~Dwight D. Eisenhower

finescalerr

Here's a question I've had for decades: Why Kiwi shoe dye instead of India ink? How does the appearance differ in the beginning and over time?

Also, in my experience with alcohol/ink, as the wood yellows over time the combination of the black/gray ink and yellowed wood eventually results in a brownish appearance. So the change is not so much from fading but from the color change of the wood itself. I discussed that with Jerry a couple of times but neither of us knows how to prevent it.

I have mentioned this on the forum in the past. Maybe this time somebody knows the answer.

Russ