• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

WWI Air Corps Gunnery Trainer

Started by marc_reusser, August 21, 2012, 10:45:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lawton Maner

Ok, who's going to be the first one to use these decals of a scale model of a (cue the Beachboys music) Woody?

shropshire lad

Quote from: Lawton Maner on September 11, 2012, 03:59:48 PM
Ok, who's going to be the first one to use these decals of a scale model of a (cue the Beachboys music) Woody?

You are ...

Well volunteered that Man !

marc_reusser

UvdR (Alex), already did a woody with these/his decals....came out beautiful. I beleive he has, or is planning, a couple more Woodie versions/models.

Been swamped with work and life stuff, but had some time today at the bench to make a bit of progress, and finally finish the main wood bits.

Wood frame was grained with oil paints, and then given a diluted mix of; Vallejo "Glaze", "Stain Clear", & Model-Air "Camo-Black Brown" & "Red Brown"...the mix was brush applied and worked towards the edges of the floor, and ends of any frame members. Same was added onto the side walls. The acrylic glaze layer sealed the oil wood graining, so that the floorcould then be...further weathered with a mix of AK, CMK, & MIG pigments...layered and worked into place with odorless turpentine, and held in place with Pigment Fixer. Note that care was taken to make sure the centera area of the floor, and especially the tops of the cleats, were left lighter to represent the wear areas on the wood, and add some interest.

...and yes, that is the ubiquitous cat hair stuck under the decal (Luckily its mostly hidden by the center post of the frame.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

danpickard

Thanks for confirming it was a "cat" hair Marc  ;)

Wood graining and darkened weathering is looking just superb.  This is perhaps one of those perfect examples of "because I know it's in there" modelling, since most of this will be difficult to find once the cockpit is finally assembled, and especially if displayed with a figure onboard.  You should make a point to keep some of the under construction images close handy when this is complete for proof of what's on the inside.

Cheers,
Dan

marc_reusser

QuoteThanks for confirming it was a "cat" hair Marc  
....LOL. In food thoug, it's never a cat hair.  :-X

Thanks Dan.; it was touch and go, with a good amount of frustration, trepidation, and second guessing ....and some areas on the frame got a bit overworked...but those will hopefully not be too visible. Yes, as you note..very little if any will be visible.....but this has been a great learning and skill building process so far....and that's generally the purpose behind my builds (hence why I rarely finish anything  ;D ) ...and, yes, there is that twisted satisfaction that comes with knowing it's in there. ;D

While looking through my drives for some reference pics for Gordon, I found what I can build with the leftover parts from the kit (though will likely need to toss a tarp over the infill area for the part I used. :) )

M-Works

shropshire lad

Quote from: marc_reusser on September 25, 2012, 12:56:30 AM
QuoteThanks for confirming it was a "cat" hair Marc  
Yes, as you note..very little if any will be visible.....but this has been a great learning and skill building process so far....and that's generally the purpose behind my builds (hence why I rarely finish anything  ;D ) ...and, yes, there is that twisted satisfaction that comes with knowing it's in there. ;D

With all that learning , skill building and unfinished projects you have amassed  you must be the greatest modeller that the World has ever seen !

Looking forward to seeing this one finished .

marc_reusser

Well, Nick ol chap....just because I continue to learn new things, doesnt mean I remeber/retain what I. learned previously

Here is an even better/more interesting choice for the kit remains....and it's even an RE-8.

M-Works

shropshire lad

Quote from: marc_reusser on September 26, 2012, 04:04:25 AM
Well, Nick ol chap....just because I continue to learn new things, doesnt mean I remeber/retain what I. learned previously

Here is an even better/more interesting choice for the kit remains....and it's even an RE-8.

Shame it is not 1/35th scale or it could be pulled by something like this !