• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Feldbahnmodule with ship

Started by fspg2, April 21, 2011, 12:42:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Bernhard

Nice that you have once again found time to devote yourself to your project - in your usual perfect manner, of course. I always admire your CAD work.

Bernhard

finescalerr

It's good to see you back at work and turning out consistently impressive components. -- Russ

Hauk

Each update to the project is a shot of inspiration.
Pure perfection.
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

1-32

Hi Frithjof.
It is a pleasure to see your skills in action,I miss them.
cheers Kim

fspg2

Many thanks for the approving words.

In the meantime, I continued with the auxiliary frames for the superstructure support.

Hilfsspanten_Aufbauträger_10 (fspg2)

Hilfsspanten_Aufbauträger_11 (fspg2)

For the cross members, 0.4mm thick, 6.0mm x 12.0mm nickel silver sheets (on the edge grooved to half the material thickness with a 92° V-milling cutter) were bent to 90°.

Dachträger_Eck-Knotenblech_01 (fspg2)

Dachträger_Eck-Knotenblech_02 (fspg2)

The two 480 mm long outer U-profiles (8.0 mm x 4.0 mm) were also grooved at the lower end...

Münzelkran Ausleger 5° biegen_02 (fspg2)

..and bent by 5° on the vice - aligned vertically at the groove edge.

Münzelkran Ausleger 5° biegen_01 (fspg2)

First, the two long U-profiles are fitted with the side plates and the soldered wire pins are rounded off with the finishing cutters to form "rivet heads".

Ausleger_Spitze_01 (fspg2)

A Pertinax gauge was provided with corresponding cut-outs.

Ausleger_Spitze_02 (fspg2)

At the same time, the 0.4mm thick nickel silver gusset plates are inserted into corresponding recesses in another Pertinax jig. Short 1.0mm wire pins are inserted into 3.0mm deep holes and the pre-drilled 2.5mm x 2.5mm L-profiles are mounted. It takes much longer than I thought ;)

Ausleger_Montagehilfe_Innenstreben_01 (fspg2)

Ausleger_Montagehilfe_Innenstreben_02 (fspg2)

Ausleger_Montagehilfe_Innenstreben_03 (fspg2)
Frithjof

finescalerr

Extremely satisfactory. -- Russ

fspg2

@Russ
Thank you very much!

In the meantime, I soldered the inner struts to the gusset plates and the rivet wires in the assembly template.

The 1.0 mm wire pins were then shortened to around 2.0 mm using wade-free pliers.
The heads were rounded in two steps. As the shortened wire ends were mostly cut off at an angle (I couldn't get the pliers into most corners parallel to the cut), a finishing cutter with an inner diameter of 1.2mm was initially used to make it easier to center the tip. Then all the heads were brought to the correct height with the 1.0mm finishing cutter. With an angled wire end, I used to have the problem that the finishing cutter with the correct diameter broke off at one of the tips and I had to use another cutter.

Ausleger_Montagehilfe_Innenstreben_04 (fspg2)

Although I had drilled 1.1mm holes in the Pertinax plate for the 1.0mm wire ends, I had to use several 0.2mm thin strips of sheet metal to lift out the soldered unit.

Ausleger_Montagehilfe_Innenstreben_05 (fspg2)

ere you can clearly see that even a resistance soldering device with about half the power setting can certainly steam the Pertinax. Despite a mask and the fume extractor, ventilation is required.

Ausleger_Montagehilfe_Innenstreben_06 (fspg2)

The lower U-shaped cross-section of the cantilever had to have an angle of 5° at both ends.

Ausleger_01 (fspg2)

Ausleger_02 (fspg2)

A 3D drawing was first created which, in addition to the U-profile (dark yellow), contained a guide groove with stop/left (cyan), two 1.2 mm chamfers for the guide pins (green) and two end chamfers (magenta). The U-profile to be shortened at both ends was created with oversize (red ends).en.

Ausleger U-Profil unten quer ablängen_01 (fspg2)

A DWG file was created from this...

Ausleger U-Profil unten quer ablängen_02 (fspg2)

...and sent a copy as a DXF file to the milling software. The individual milling parameters (milling cutter, drill - type of contour inside, outside, without - rotational speed - speed - plunge depth per pass - holding bars if necessary - ...) were set here. The result was then saved as a job file on the server.

Ausleger U-Profil unten quer ablängen_03 (fspg2)

I was lucky today.  There was no fault message during this short milling run.

Ausleger U-Profil unten quer ablängen_04 (fspg2)

I was able to insert the parts into the assembly jig of the boom loosely... and everything fitted. 

Ausleger_Montagebrett (fspg2)
Frithjof

finescalerr

Most impressive. I love to see construction of such high quality. -- Russ

Bill Gill

Definitely very high quality work. 

Lawrence@NZFinescale

Cheers,

Lawrence in NZ
nzfinescale.com

Ray Dunakin

Such high precision and machining is far beyond me but I sure enjoy watching it, and occasionally even get some ideas from it.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

fspg2

Many thanks to Russ, Bill, Lawrence and Ray!

@ Lawrence
QuoteClearly I need more tools.
I don't really believe that. You show us true masterpieces that can't be typed.

There are many masters of their trade here in the forum who also conjure up the most amazing works of art at the kitchen table!

Today there is just a small update on the Münzel crane.

For the rear diagonal support struts, a left and a right gusset plate had to be milled from 0.3 mm nickel silver. Since such small parts tend to "hide" from time to time, the parts were made twice.

Ausleger hintere Stütze_01 (fspg2)

Ausleger hintere Stütze_02 (fspg2)

Ausleger hintere Stütze_03 (fspg2)

Here's a little movie about milling these rear support nodal plates from 0.3mm nickel silver: click
(unfortunately only 480p after uploading)
Frithjof

Lawrence@NZFinescale

Quote from: fspg2 on February 06, 2024, 07:20:59 AMHere's a little movie about milling these rear support nodal plates from 0.3mm nickel silver:

After watching that, I definitely need more tools!!

Lovely stuff.
Cheers,

Lawrence in NZ
nzfinescale.com

finescalerr

That mill seems to work much like my laser. I'd never seen one operate before. Thanks! -- Russ