• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Feldbahnmodule with ship

Started by fspg2, April 21, 2011, 12:42:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernhard

Lawrence, I was just in contact with them about this. They seem to have a problem with the website, but are working on fixing it.

Bernhard

Lawrence@NZFinescale

Thanks Bernhard, I appreciate that.
Cheers,

Lawrence in NZ
nzfinescale.com

fspg2

Thank you all for the friendly comments.

@Lawrence
Your suggestion to present the bridge as built is quite appealing.... But then I can't drive over the bridge with my vehicles.....

Let's see how far I get  ;)

At the four corners of the movable lift bridge are the holders for the guide rollers

Rollenhalter_Gruppe_Druck_4x_02 (fspg2)

attached to the mounting shafts for the weights.

Vorne_rechts_Gruppe_10 (fspg2)

The eight castings had only 0.5mm recesses printed for the holes of the mounting screws.
They served as orientation for the drill.
In each case four M0.8mm x 3.0mm hexagon screws were inserted with a small socket wrench (wrench size = 1.3mm) from below through the 0.4mm nickel silver plate and the roller holders, while the nut was mounted laboriously (with some spit on the finger). Assembly time per plate long between five to last three minutes.

Vorne_rechts_Gruppe_04 (fspg2)

Then I rounded the first forty of three hundred and twenty 1.0mm wire pins (6.0mm long) on one side on the Emco Unimat 3 with the finishing cutter - this took about twenty minutes.

Nietkopf_01 (fspg2)

Nietkopf_02 (fspg2)

They are soldered into the vertical 5.0mm U-profiles at the ends of the lift bridge in the legs from the outside.

Vorne_rechts_Gruppe_05 (fspg2)

The rounded ends are butted one after the other (first for one leg, then for the second) against two inlaid Pertinax strips of different widths so that the rivet heads do not protrude too far inside the profile.
A later wounding would not have been feasible.

Vorne_rechts_Gruppe_1 (fspg2)

Vorne_rechts_Gruppe_2 (fspg2)

Vorne_rechts_Gruppe_3 (fspg2)

Vorne_rechts_Gruppe_06 (fspg2)

n the picture above you can see at the edge of the nickel silver plate what happens when the resistance solder is set a little too high - the material simply shrinks.   After all, it's an old bridge, so that can happen.

Vorne_rechts_Gruppe_07 (fspg2)

Vorne_rechts_Gruppe_08 (fspg2)

Vorne_rechts_Gruppe_09 (fspg2)

When all other parts and the rivet pins are soldered in place, the protruding ends are shortened to approx. 1.0mm with a wadless side cutter and then further wound with the finishing cutter.
Frithjof

Bill Gill

Your Pertinax solution is elegant.
I think your vehicles may some day drive over this bridge.

Barney

Engineering in miniature - in total excellence - way way beyond myself !!
Barney
Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson

finescalerr

Ray Dunakin

Your progress, as always, is fascinating!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Bernhard

As always, impeccable execution. I am already eager to see the finished structure.

Bernhard

fspg2

Thanks a lot!
I had soldered the lateral four receiving shafts with 5.0mm x 3.0mm brass profiles. After the front had got the 0.4mm nickel silver sheets and diagonal struts (except the upper, laterally projecting sheet) soldered on, the U-profiles were laterally trimmed, since the U-profiles have a leg width of only 2.5mm.
To do this, the parallel-aligned fence was set up on my small Böhler circular saw to match the existing width of the soldered mounting slot, which is now still too wide by 1.0mm. The first side was slowly fed along the 2.0mm wide saw blade with an intermediate 0.5mm brass strip in two height settings. The first cut separated only the lower leg, while the second saw cut the full height of the profile.
Then it was the turn of the opposite side - here I now inserted two 0.5mm brass strips. This way, I can successively bring all four parts to the same dimension without having to adjust the lateral stop.

I took the following photo afterwards, because I had forgotten it during the sawing.

Profile_trimmen (fspg2)

A weight has already been inserted as a test.

Vorne_links_Gruppe_02 (fspg2)

The lateral thickness of 5.0 mm must later be ground down to 4.9 mm, otherwise it would chafe in the 5.0 mm wide shaft.

Vorne_links_Gruppe_03 (fspg2)

The front 9.0mm x 3.0mm crossmember profiles (dark green) are connected via 0.4mm thick nickel silver sheets (light green) and 3.0mm x 3.0mm L-profiles (yellow).

Vorne_links_Gruppe_01 (fspg2)

The 1.0mm brass pins, rounding on one side, were pressed tightly into the pre-drilled holes in the nickel silver plate using small flat-nose pliers. A hard paper template with corresponding 1.0mm deep holes served as a depth stop.

Vorne_links_Gruppe_04 (fspg2)

After I had soldered the first two connecting plates, a positioning test with the cross member revealed a small problem.
The distance between the two nickel silver sheets was too narrow by 0.3mm.
I had used an older data file when drilling the L-sections, which still had the corresponding holes offset by 0.15mm.... 2 x 0,15mm... there was the mistake.
So there was a new attempt with the newer file... and the cross member fit. 

Vorne_links_Gruppe_05 (fspg2)
Frithjof

finescalerr

It is relief to know that, along with the usual perfection, you are human enough to make a rare mistake. -- Russ

Sami

It's a real watchmaking work !

fspg2

Good morning,

First of all, I wish everyone a peaceful and healthy new year!

Unfortunately I can't show you any physical construction progress today.
When I wanted to mill out a few parts for the lifting bridge again after a long time, a pungent smell came from the control switch box shortly after the milling computer started and I saw the mess:

Fehlermeldung_01 (fspg2)

This time the output stage for the Z-axis was submerged on the control board... grrrrrr......

Last time an external Leadshine output stage solved the problem, now all axes are to be equipped with the same external output stages. Steffen kindly agreed to help again.

Fehlermeldung_02 (fspg2)

In the meantime I continued to draw a bit.

The portal cross member was equipped with various angle profiles, rivets and the two supports for the side bridges.

Portal_Querträger_01 (fspg2)

westl_Bruecke_Seitensicht_Auflager_01 (fspg2)

westl_Bruecke_Seitensicht_Auflager_02 (fspg2)

From the individual sketches above I could see the respective dimensions..

Hauptbruecke_Montage_Portal_001 (fspg2)

Hauptbruecke_Montage_Portal_002 (fspg2)

Hauptbruecke_Montage_Portal_003 (fspg2)

Hauptbruecke_Montage_Portal_004 (fspg2)

Hauptbruecke_Montage_Portal_005 (fspg2)

Hauptbruecke_Montage_Portal_006 (fspg2)

Hauptbruecke_Montage_Portal_007 (fspg2)

Hauptbruecke_Montage_Portal_008 (fspg2)

Hauptbruecke_Montage_Portal_009 (fspg2)

The central auxiliary suspension for the floating cylinder was drawn also.

Hauptbruecke_Montage_Portal_010 (fspg2)

Hauptbruecke_Montage_Portal_011 (fspg2)

Hauptbruecke_Montage_Portal_012 (fspg2)

Hauptbruecke_Montage_Portal_013 (fspg2)

Hauptbruecke_Montage_Portal_014 (fspg2)

So now a few 100 rivet heads should be wounded again.... really boring, but necessary work.
Frithjof

1-32

Hello Frithjof.
Love your drawings, I can see how you can get lost in them, Happy New Year to you too.

fspg2

Hello Kim,
Today there are a few more pictures.

On the existing black and white photos of the old lift bridge, the color of the time can only be guessed at.

Hubbrücke_LEA_264_coloriert (fspg2)

Copyright: Lauenburger Elbschiffahrtsarchiv

So Photoshop's AI (Neural Filters) was questioned... and this is what came out:

Hubbrücke_coloriert_2 (fspg2)

Copyright: Lauenburger Elbschiffahrtsarchiv

Even if the color of the masonry was not matched in any way, I believe that the bridge itself was grey.

Other small individual parts were drawn so that they can be milled out once the milling machine is up and running again.
This is how the connecting rods between the two floating cylinders and the lifting bridge were prepared.

Verbindungsstange_Schwimmer zu Hubbrücke_1 (fspg2)

Verbindungsstange_Schwimmer zu Hubbrücke_2 (fspg2)

The unit above consists of 170 individual parts, it is required four times.

Verbindungsstange_Schwimmer zu Hubbrücke_3 (fspg2)

Verbindungsstange_Schwimmer zu Hubbrücke_4 (fspg2)

Verbindungsstange_Schwimmer zu Hubbrücke_5 (fspg2)
Frithjof

finescalerr

Judging from the drawings and photos alone I expect your model to be astoundingly good. -- Russ