• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Feldbahnmodule with ship

Started by fspg2, April 21, 2011, 12:42:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

finescalerr

Your bridge will be too big to fit in my workshop! And based on the high price of materials, I think worldwide inflation is beginning to affect our hobby. Maybe you should redraw the plans in N scale .... -- Russ

WP Rayner

Brilliant work as usual, always amazed at your engineering and machining skills.
Paul

Stay low, keep quiet, keep it simple, don't expect too much, enjoy what you have.

Bernhard

Perfect design work.
I purchase almost all profiles from hassler-profile.li. They are a lot cheaper. U- and I-profiles also have tightening on the legs like the original.

Bernhard

SandiaPaul

Bernhard,

That is a great source! I wonder if they will ship to the US?
Paul

Bernhard

Paul, I will ask him. But he is absent until May 28.

Bernhard

fspg2

@all
Thanks very much!

@Russ
Good idea.... But N scale, my eyes are a bit too old for that

@Bernhard
Most of the profiles I have used so far are from Mr. Hassler. In some cases, he also made special profiles for me according to my wishes. You can call him - he is very helpful!

Time flies when you draw. It's hard to believe how much information is hidden in the three floor plans.
Some dimensions, which appear to be missing in the side view, arise automatically when assembling the individual parts.
Also, some dimensions are not always logical and are dimensioned differently in the different partial views.

You can see the current status in the following views:

Hauptbruecke_Montage_I (fspg2)

Gruppe_Traeger_Bruecke_06 (fspg2)

Gruppe_Traeger_Bruecke_08 (fspg2)

Gruppe_Traeger_Bruecke_09 (fspg2)

Gruppe_Traeger_Bruecke_11 (fspg2)

Next, the guide rollers and their holders are reconstructed - with the help of the detail enlargements it should work. ;)

Fuehrungsrolle_Hubbruecke_01 (fspg2)

Fuehrungsrolle_Hubbruecke_02 (fspg2)

Fuehrungsrolle_Hubbruecke_03 (fspg2)

Fuehrungsrolle_Hubbruecke_04 (fspg2)
Frithjof

fspg2

The side roll holders and rollers are drawn and fit.

Rollenhalter_Gruppe_Druck_4x (fspg2)

Let's see what comes out of 3D printing at Shapeways...
The holes for the fastening screws are only 0.3mm deep in the model and will be drilled out later.

Fuehrungsrolle_Hubbruecke_05 (fspg2)

0.3mm of air is enough on the side, so that nothing stands in the way of vertical movement, at least in terms of the drawing. :D

Fuehrungsrolle_Hubbruecke_06 (fspg2)

When I tried lifting, I could see a problem in the CAD for the later assembly.

Hauptbruecke_Montage_N_ (fspg2)

Once the rollers are installed, the main bridge will not slide onto the two side rails.
The upper edges of the bridge are already touching the head, while the rollers are still below the respective upper edge of the rails.

A later assembly of one roller each would probably be feasible, but is ruled out due to difficult accessibility!

Fuehrungsrolle_Hubbruecke_07 (fspg2)

The solution will be a bit antithetical, but it does the job. I'm going to bevel the top tips of the guide rail slightly.

Hauptbruecke_Montage_M (fspg2)

In order to get a small overview of the dimensions of the entire bridge, there is a drawing of an assembly.

Hauptbruecke_Montage_J (fspg2)

Next, the missing profiles in the main bridge are drawn. Then the derivation of the many small gusset plates, L and U profiles can take place, so that the milling machine gets work to do again.

I ordered an external power amp for the defective, permanently installed power amp on the mainboard of the milling machine.

Hauptbruecke_Montage_K (fspg2)

Hauptbruecke_Montage_L (fspg2)
Frithjof

finescalerr

This is more than just a model. It is truly a "miniature". -- Russ

Hauk

Hey, Fridtjof!
Could you build me a 1/24 model of the Eiffel Tower? You seem to be up to the task!

Seriously, this is the most enjoyable modelling thread I have ever followed.
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

fspg2

Thank you both!

@Hauk
Well, certainly the Eiffel Tower would have its appeal  :),
only the lift bridge is a little closer to me....
Just looking at the number of rivets on the Eiffel Tower... I haven't counted them yet, but there are quite a few! ;)

For my bridge construction, I consider which rivets I will press or which I will replicate with rounded wire pins.
I also have to think carefully beforehand about the order in which the individual parts should be assembled.
The finishing cutter can no longer reach many small corners once the parts have been soldered.

Hauptbruecke_Montage_O (fspg2)

Hauptbruecke_Montage_P (fspg2)

Hauptbruecke_Montage_Q (fspg2)

Now the long beams and the cross connectors for the rails are missing.
Likewise the wooden boards, the handrails and many small mounting brackets, which I will gradually add to.

Hauptbruecke_Montage_R (fspg2)

With a click on the respective picture you get to the corresponding gallery - a further click results in an enlargement, where you can see the details better.
Frithjof

Lawton Maner

Why not try shaping the ends of hard to reach rivets prior to pressing into place on the difficult end of the sub-assembly?  A fixture would limit its penetration and the pieces could later be added to the larger assembly.  Use the Carr's series of different temperature solders working from the highest temp to the lowest as you work outward. with the tiniest amount of solder needed to hold the parts in place. 

Have you ever tried to solder sub-assemblies in the oven?  Just hold it in a fixture based on a jeweler's heat resistant pad, bake it in the oven until the solder flows (best done with solder/flux mix applied with a syringe), and allow to cool before proceeding.  Can do the same thing when working with surface mount semiconductors using a cast iron skillet on the stove's burner. 

Ray Dunakin

Just trying to figure out how to install all those rivets, and what sequence to install them, must be quite a mind-bending puzzle.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Bernhard

QuoteBernhard,

That is a great source! I wonder if they will ship to the US?

Yes Paul, he confirmed to me that he would also deliver to the USA.

Bernhard

fspg2

@Lawton
QuoteWhy not try shaping the ends of hard to reach rivets prior to pressing into place on the difficult end of the sub-assembly?  A fixture would limit its penetration and the pieces could later be added to the larger assembly.

Thank you, I will go this way!
Since I work with a resistance soldering device, I can easily connect all parts with the same solder without the neighboring solder joints coming loose again.

@Ray
Quote...must be quite a mind-bending puzzle.

I'll have to solve that. ;)

The reel seats arrived from Shapeways after just 14 days:

Rollenhalter_Gruppe_Druck_4x_02 (fspg2)

Many small gusset plates, brackets and the first profiles have now not only been drawn, but also milled.

Traeger_Montage_80 (fspg2)

The handrails require small brackets made of 2.5mm x 2.5mm L-profile:

Hauptbruecke_Montage_V (fspg2)

As shown earlier, I inserted the legs of two L-profiles in opposite directions into a groove milled into the MDF and fixed them with masking tape.

Profile_fraesen_04 (fspg2)

On the following picture you can see the milling sequence:

Profile_fraesen_03 (fspg2)

After one pass, the two profiles were turned over so that the upper legs, which had already been machined, were inserted into the groove - and the game repeated. In the end I got a lot of small brackets:

Profile_fraesen_05 (fspg2)

The vertical Z-profiles also received their drill holes:

Profile_fraesen_02 (fspg2)

It is hard to believe how many parts such a relatively small bridge actually consisted of. But that's what comes of counting the rivets :lol:
In comparison with the insane number of individual parts that were made to fit e.g. when constructing the Empire State Building - without a computer - the replica of the lifting bridge is probably child's play:wink:

By the way, here are two great films about the construction of the Empire State Building: klick and the Golden Gate Bridge: click

The upper end of the two side parts are formed by small flat bars that extend in a zigzag shape over the entire length.

Hauptbruecke_Zick_zack (fspg2)

Hauptbruecke_Montage_Y (fspg2)

I milled left and right bands out of 0.3mm nickel silver. The dividing lines between the individual angled parts were milled 0.1mm deep with a V-milling cutter.

Hubbruecke_Zick_zack_02 (fspg2)

To prevent the individual 2.2mm wide strips from buckling or breaking at the V-groove, they were carefully removed from the plate with a 0.2mm thick sheet of brass. The remaining adhesive film (GUDY® 870) could then be rubbed off the back.

Profile_fraesen_07 (fspg2)

Since I milled the outer contour with a 1.0mm milling cutter, the 90° corners still have to be filed a little.

Profile_fraesen_08 (fspg2)

Finally for today an animation of the raising of the bridge:

Hubbruecke_komplett_Animation_1 (fspg2)

In the enlargement there is a cleaner process!
Frithjof

1-32