• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Iron Painter 8 Round 6 (Final!): "Last One Standing"

Started by Bexley, February 25, 2012, 09:24:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc_reusser

Very neat. Especially like the modulation/lighting on the wall piece.  Great result...especially with the time you had to work on it. I've always wanted to do a B&W/Grey-scale scene or model.

Good luck again, and hope the house purchase went smoothly (congratulations on that).

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

finescalerr

Malachi Constant

That's fantastic, delightful & funny as hell!  Really dig ALL of the carefully selected and placed elements, pose of figures, suggested "action" and emotion, etc ... and the matching base.  Killer!  ;D  -- Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Bexley

My opponent failed to submit something before the deadline. Since nobody else is unmatched this round (16 participants in 8 pairings, 15 submissions turned in) I get a free pass to the next round. (Had another person failed to submit, I'd have been matched up against the other loose end.) Not the best way to win, but I'll take it. I was a little unhappy with my entry this time. It really needed another day of painting at least.
CounterClockwise

Bexley Andrajack

Bexley

The theme for round four is "Forbidden." My initial ideas were:

1. A man at a computer, with a 403 (Forbidden) message on the screen. (Rejected, as even at 1/35, painting the words on the screen would be incredibly difficult.)

2. Some sort of evil secret ritual in progress, using this figure. [Warning: nudity.]

3. A very elaborate tree; with apple, serpent, and woman. (i.e. Forbidden Fruit.)

I was leaning towards number two. I had been challenged by a former winner before the contest to make every entry post-apocalyptic. I made no promises, as theme is important, and a good idea is a good idea. Then, I got the image of a "toxic" tree in my head, and opted to go with number three. I have a figure of a little girl with a gas mask to stand in for Eve. She looks the part, plus she's tiny (28mm figure scale, but since she's a kid, she's only about 5/8" tall) so it'll make the tree look even larger. Not sure yet about the serpent, but I have a few ideas on making one. It'll be some kind of a mutant snake. The tree will be Sculpey over a wire armature, and is going to look as rotten and distended and horrible as I can make it. Not quite sure about the apple. I'm thinking it needs to look normal, so that it's considered "tempting."

For the base, I'm going to use about a 4" section of 4" diameter PVC pipe. I plan to do a cutaway in the middle of it, showing a bunch of barrels of waste buried under the tree, with the tree's roots wrapped around them. I may also do a painted yellow/green glowing effect, as that sort of thing always goes over well.
CounterClockwise

Bexley Andrajack

Malachi Constant

Cool ... starting to picture it already ... but sure I'll be surprised!   Have fun, good luck, godspeed and all that stuff ... Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

marc_reusser

Sounds like a neat scene. If you needed to hit them over the head with the concept you could always add a sign to the back of the tree...where the girl couldn't see it that says "poison, picking fruit is forbidden"....or or has the skull-and-crossbones symbol and then the "picking fruit forbidden" under that.  ::)

Look forward to pics.

Marc

M-Works

Bexley

I was kind of thinking of putting a damaged cyclone fence behind them with a sign, indicating a hazmat burial site. I just need to come up with a way of pulling that off in ~1/56 scale. They have kits with a woven fabric to use as the fencing, but I don't know that the fabric would have the rigidity to pull off damaged and bent fencing.

Nice thing about the toxic tree is that I don't need to come up with leaves now.
CounterClockwise

Bexley Andrajack

Bexley

I've found some wire mesh that might work for the fence. I also got the base roughly cut and the filler pieces made on my lunch break; I'll try to get some photos later.
CounterClockwise

Bexley Andrajack

Bexley

I was going to just buy a piece of pipe and cut it to size, but ended up getting a straight coupler
instead. It's about 5" in diameter. I filled it with layers of pink foam- I'll trim the top down to match
the contours of the base, and I'll gouge out the area for the barrels in the side opening. Before I
glue the foam in permanently, I plan to sand out the scratches, prime, and paint the base, either
black or a very dark brown. Then I'll glue in the foam, and mask off the base so I don't ruin the
finish while I work on the rest of it.
CounterClockwise

Bexley Andrajack

Ray Dunakin

This is really going to be cool. I like the whole idea of it!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Bexley

Well, the mesh was close, as far as the size of the squares, but the thickness of the wires was way off. I'm going to try some fine window screen. I suspect the squares will be too large, though. I got some of the Walthers mesh, too. It's HO, but it must be too big for HO. It's perfect for 1/56, but again, it's a fabric, and getting it to look bent out of shape will be difficult, if not impossible. I'm trying some Mr. Surfacer on it, to see if it will stiffen it any.
CounterClockwise

Bexley Andrajack

Bexley

I measured the screen in my windows, and it's about the same as the mesh I bought today. Except it's steel (the stuff I bought today was aluminum) so I might be able to dunk it in etchant for a bit and thin it. Looks like I'm off to the hardware store first thing in the morning.
CounterClockwise

Bexley Andrajack

Bexley

Picked up some window screen today. Unfortunately (and unknown to me) window screen is aluminum. Which I probably should have figured out beforehand, given that they don't rust out. It looks like it'll work. Probably a bit out of scale, but I think this will be one of those "out of scale but gives the desired effect so nobody really notices" sort of things. Failing that, McMaster-Carr has some mesh that will work a bit better. The wires will still be too thick (.0075", which would be about .42") but the squares (.034", which would be 1.904"- a little undersized, actually) will be closer to the right size.
CounterClockwise

Bexley Andrajack

marc_reusser

I have used Tuille fabric (the stuff used for wedding veils....and the Go-Go's had skirts made of it)....quite effectively, IMO, in 1/48 scale and 1/35. It comes in different sized mesh/weave...and a couple of different weaves/patterns (one looks very sim to the old style wire yard fencing from the 20's through the 50's). It is a nylon or some such thing, so a dit harder to paint and shape. I have used an AB and / or pigments to color it.

Insofar as the alum screen is concerned, that shoul be absolutely ideal (scale maybe not withstanding)....being alum it can be easily formed and sshaped, and it can easily be oxidized in a PCB etchtant bath....which will also reduce the diameter of the wire....may take a few tries to get the look/correct piece....but off-hand I can't see why it wouldn't work.

M-Works