• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Rediscovering an Old Tool

Started by Ken Hamilton, June 14, 2009, 06:35:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Hamilton

These have been sitting on the shelf for over 20 years.  The last time I used them was
to make turnbuckles for the tracklaying machine.  Don't have a clue where I got them, but
I haven't seen any others since.  They probably could be found at a watch-making web site.
The smallest tap & die combo is .010".

Anyway, I'm going to use them to make the steering linkage for the Lumber Carrier.
The tie rod ends are the first thing I threaded tonight.  This is 3/64" brass rod:

The "Close Enough" factor will be coming into play here.  I drilled out a piece of 1/16" tubing
so the tap would fit inside just enough to cut some threads:

The end result is a working, threaded rod & tube.  It's a little loose (IE: close enough)
but the "adjustable" tie rod ends won't be functional anyway.  They're just for show.

So much for keeping this build simple............
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/

Krusty

Snap!

I have the exact same set, purchased from a local jeweller/watchmaker supplier, probably the same vintage as yours. Only difference is that the plastic tray in mine is a lighter shade of yellow and the taps refuse to stay in their compartments – it's just as well they have the size stamped on the shank.

Treat them with care – they're a little on the brittle side.
Kevin Crosado

"Caroline Wheeler's birthday present was made from the skins of dead Jim Morrisons
That's why it smelt so bad"

lab-dad

WOW!!!
I could really use those!
I guess I will check that crummy auction site.
Any one know where I can find them?
-Marty

neat work by the way Ken!

Ken Hamilton

Quote from: Krusty on June 15, 2009, 05:55:30 AM
Snap!

HA!  You DO have the same set!  No doubt you, too, have closed
the "spring action" lid and everything inside was ejected from the trays.

(...and they ARE brittle....)
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/

jacq01

Ken,

I know the type of box..... It must have been a very sadistic designer, to come up with such a construction.

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.