• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Steel cable transmission

Started by Peter_T1958, October 29, 2012, 12:13:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck Doan

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

5thwheel

Peter,  This is  great project that I am following with great interest.  In your details don't forget the pigeon and seagull crap on the upper surfaces and running down some of the sides.  I enjoy all that all of you guys are doing. Unfortunately I am not in a place where I can do any of it.

Bill

Quote from: Peter_T1958 on February 26, 2013, 12:31:36 PM

After checking all my references again and again the question came up whether stone walls (such as those pylons I am working on) generally were masoned to the core or whether they have some sort of filling as in this picture.

First I was planning to fill in the upper side of my pylon in this way (sketch below), but now I am no longer sure about this, and unfortunately there are no photos from the upper surface.

Any experts out there?

Thanks, Peter

Bill Hudson
Fall down nine times,
get up ten.

Peter_T1958

Thought I should do a litte uptdate to my thread - just to show: I am still working on that project  ;)

I have recently completed the basic stonework. Huh, it was more difficult than expected. I had to cast nearly every single stone block from a  seperate mould ... 
So I couldn't ecspect that everything fits perfectly (and it is so...), but I am quite satisfied with the result.

In addition here once again some reference pics from a nearby railway bridge as it should finally look:

Cheers, Peter
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" -Leonardo Da Vinci-

https://industrial-heritage-in-scale.blogspot.ch/

marc_reusser

Peter,

Thanks for the fantastic update. I can honestly say that that is the most realistic scale model stone abutment, that I have seen. Simply beautiful.the textures, colors and variation, and the ever so slight offsets/fitting of the stones.......more real than real.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

finescalerr

Perfectly fitting stones would destroy the perfection of your model. -- Russ

Chuck Doan

Beautiful! How many more do you need?
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Ray Dunakin

Ditto what Marc said! That stone work is incredibly realistic.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Krusty

Kevin Crosado

"Caroline Wheeler's birthday present was made from the skins of dead Jim Morrisons
That's why it smelt so bad"

Hydrostat

Peter,

ditto what Marc and the others said. Now I'm curious how this comes out being weathered.

Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

Peter_T1958

Thanks a lot gents for your kind compliments! Nevertheless I am faced with another problem now: The first sample was "random chance". Now all my seperately casted test samples have been used up without having achieved the same result as shown a post above, and I have to go back to square one (on the subject of painting, of course).

@ Volker
Paintig is definitely not "mein Steckenpferd". I have an awful lot to learn in this area  :-\

@ Marc
Once you wrote me:
Once both layers of HS and paint are on, I load the AB with Windex, and carefully begin to literally blast the paint off. I vary between letting the windex flow, and using only air....working pretty darn close to the surface at about 20 psi. I try to keep moving, and not stay in one spot too long, because it can eventually wear through the clear and finish, down to the primer. Some areas, I will try/want to only remove the top layer/color of HS and paint others I go through both layers..

That is precisely the problem: Unfortunately the paint I will remove precisely remains in the deeper areas of the chiseling pattern and it looks like Verlindens Dry Brush Methode ... >:( >:( >:(

@Chuck
I will leave it at this one piece at the speed I am making ...  The entire site included five pillars and a power-house with three tubines.

Cheers,
Peter

Peter_T1958

Some more trials of this morning. The one on the right is the new one. I tryed to do a darker one for the moistured non-sunny side of the abutement. I also tried adding some moss in one corner.

But ... it isn't exactly what I tried to create. All looks too well-behaved yet. It seems that if I wouldn't have the courage/ability to do it much distinctively.  :'(

Gordon Ferguson

Looks pretty damned impressive to me !!!
Gordon

finescalerr

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

marc_reusser

I think the results look very good.

One question I have, is why are you worrying about painting this now (aside from that it is fun).....I always worry when I see people paint things out of context. By that I mean having the rest of the tower built and at least in the painting process as well, that way you can balance and play the items off each other....otherwise you may have a chance  of over weathering one part, and then being forced to catch up or overcompensate the other parts.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works