• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

No title yet, but it's a boat

Started by Gordon Ferguson, August 11, 2014, 02:55:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shropshire lad

Quote from: Gordon Ferguson on August 15, 2014, 10:57:54 AM
Marc, you obviously have not heard the news ;)

Glasgow's last shipyard Ferguson Shipbuilders set to close.......... So that solves the paint issue.  ;)

( not funny for the people involved, but could not resist )

No pwobwem , we sen shippie to Korea get good paint jobbie . As least  we'll be able to understand what they say . Unlike those Glaswegians .

Stoker

Great looking little boat, Gordon. Thanks for sharing your process. The pictures of derelict tugs reminded me of the Mary D. Hume in Gold Beach, Oregon.

Not my picture, but *somewhere* I do have some shots of this tugboat, some from the river side even. This boat is irresistible to photographers.
Regards, James                        Modeling in 1:48 after a lengthy bout of Scalatosis Indecisivis

1-32

lovely little boat.
maybe you need a bit of a marine wall.
regards kim.

Gordon Ferguson

Great pic Kim, filed that one away.

Paint ........ Needs tiding and some work on those hull weld lines

Gordon

finescalerr

By all means tidy it up. But it looks pretty good already. -- Russ

Chuck Doan

I'm wondering if some crusty bubbling rust and paint could help cover/minimize what you don't like about the welds...
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Gordon Ferguson

Chuck, that solution would probably have helped  ....... But gone for another, wet sanded the whole lot off and will start again
Gordon

Barney

Looks good to me nice tidy little job and as Chuck says a few bits of bubbling rust should do it but the main thing is finish it !!!!
Barney

marc_reusser

I actually liked the wide flat banding/weld lines....I have seen hull plates welded like that. Have also seen wide welds like that that were ground smooth/flat.....and kinda like that.

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Gordon Ferguson

Quote from: marc_reusser on August 17, 2014, 10:03:44 PM

...I have seen hull plates welded like that. Have also seen wide welds like that that were ground smooth/flat...

Now what have I said to you before about "timing" re comments  ::)  ...........

Got any pics of examples?
Gordon

marc_reusser

If this continues to happen to you....maybe it's not me... :P :D

Sorry, none off-hand....probably have something somewhere in my drives...will have to check.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

chester

This vessel reminds me of the logging pusher boats used to corral log rafts in the Pacific NW. Perhaps some bumpers all around to cover what you don't like about the welds.

Design-HSB

Quote from: Gordon Ferguson on August 18, 2014, 12:40:09 AM
Got any pics of examples?
Hi Gorden,

I hope you can see a bit of the welding seams that are not sanded, so that the stability of the weld obese in full.

Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

Gordon Ferguson

What a lovely vessel Helmut, many thanks for posting these pictures, would be a great way of displaying to show the full hull

Andi hope you have a look at this
Gordon

Design-HSB

Hi Gordon,

I took the photos in 2004 in the LWL Industrial Museum Henrichenburg.

The ship would have to my knowledge today be still there to see.
Unfortunately, more 195 km away from my house, otherwise I would like to take pictures for you.
In addition, the ship is back in the water.

Ship Cerberus

But all of my many ship pictures, you can see the weld seams here still the best.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal