• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Lehigh Valley Barge No 79

Started by marklayton, September 24, 2010, 05:11:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marklayton

Last month I had a unique opportunity to take a cruise in the New York City harbor on Lehigh Valley Barge #17 in tow of tug Pegasus.  The barge is the last extant example of an all-wooden cargo barge, out of the large fleet operated by the railroads.  It was built in 1917, and now lives in Red Hook in Brooklyn, serving as a floating venue for performances, mostly for school children.  Pegasus was built in 1907 as Standard Oil #1, and was operating in revenue service until 1997.  It is now a museum boat.

I took a lot of detail photos for a 1:32 scale floating model.  The barge captain had a scale drawing that came from the Antracite Railroads Historical Society, so I have dimensions.

Mark
He who dies with the most tools wins.

Malachi Constant

Cool project and sounds like you've got all the info lined up ... look forward to it.

Cheers,
Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

JohnP

Indeed this will be something different. The floating aspect will add another dimension as well. Plus you had the opportunity to visit the real thing.

I always liked the Lehigh Valley. It was a good, working man's Eastern railroad. No frills but had all the right stuff from the coal to the passenger trains.

Keep us informed Mark.

John
John Palecki

marc_reusser

Look forward to seeing your build thread.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

TRAINS1941

Mark

Looks like an interesting thread.  Will be following along.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin