• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Ships Boats

Started by turtle, November 22, 2014, 04:52:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydrostat

Quote from: mabloodhound on November 28, 2014, 06:04:19 AM
If it wasn't in the shiny white and with a little weathering and artful photography I would think I was looking at the real ship.

Yep. Absolutely astounding craftsmanship. I had to overcome my speechlessness before posting anything here :o. For sure this kind of modeling stands for its own, but it really would be interesting to see this come to life without the shiny brass and some coloring ...  If you say "no CAD or CNC involved", do you mean no milling involved at all?

Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

Peter_T1958

I think almost all the contributions in that forum are encouraging, but this one leaves me close to desperation! Seriously: I can only echo the comments of the others -- truly stunning work! It deserves to be in a museum.

Quote from: mabloodhound on November 28, 2014, 06:04:19 AM
Did you mention the name of the ship....I didn't find it. ???
Seems to be the Russian Battleship "Tsesarevich"?!?

One question: Are the brass parts additionally brass coated after soldering?

Hats off!
Peter

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" -Leonardo Da Vinci-

https://industrial-heritage-in-scale.blogspot.ch/

Marc988

What an amazing model  ::)

The pictures are a real treat, so keep them coming  ;D

One question; Did I understand it correctly that this highly detailed model is also RC ??

1-32

goodmorning.
i hope this file is not too big i will give it a go instead.
detail russian battleship-gangut,1911.

regards kim

turtle

Quote from: finescalerr on November 28, 2014, 12:49:10 AMWhat a model. Almost as exciting as a gorgeous young woman. -- Russ

:D I think someone needs to get out a bit more  :D

Volker - There is machining (lathe and mill) involved, however it is all done manually, i.e. the anchors will be roughed out on the mill then final shaping/finishing done by hand.

Peter - Congratulations, you are one of the few that uses the correct spelling  ;), yep it is the "Цесаревич" or "Tsesarevich" or "Crown Prince" pre-1903. Before it was painted 'Russian Green' and the masts were removed  :'(.
The exposed brass parts have been specially chemically treated to protect against oxidation (a treatment similar to anodizing).
And it now spends most of it's time in a Maritime Museum as can be seen in these photos kindly sent by it's owner:

Marc - Yes you did read correctly - it is a fully functional RC boat  :D, when not sitting in its glass case it unbolts from the display pillars and a blanking bolt with O-rings inserted, creates a watertight seal. To get to the electronics and running gear it has a split waterline - hull separates from the decking at the waterline so that the rigging etc. doesn't have to be touched (apart from the formal entrance were the lower tier raises and clips to the hull. The design/build brief was to test/push the limits of the World Champs RC boat rules/regulations - achieved  :-X

turtle

Cheers for those Kim, I'll be honest and say I have no interest in the "Dreadnought" era ships, for me the "pre-Dreadnought" era was far more interesting (and challenging), (also referred to as the 'Victorian" era) with ships painted black and white or just white, for me these ships had character and not just slabs of grey steel  :(.

Ray Dunakin

What an incredible model of a really beautiful ship!

It's interesting how the sides of the ship taper inwards at the top. I don't think I've seen that before.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Hauk

Quote from: Ray Dunakin on November 28, 2014, 07:07:12 PM

It's interesting how the sides of the ship taper inwards at the top. I don't think I've seen that before.

It is a design that was taken up (and probably improved upon) by Norwegian shipbuilders in the late nineties:

By the way, could anyone explain in detail the chemical treatment used on the exposed brass parts to protect against oxidation?
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

turtle

Ray and Hauk - these photos probably give a fairly good impression on the 'tumblehome' of these ships:

"Цесаревич" is a French designed and built ship for the Imperial Navy so has the same Naval Architecture.
'Tumblehome' is the curvature from sea level to main deck level and for a period (1870's - late 1890's) was a prominent feature of the French ships, I'll have to have a hunt around for the reasonings for this design philosophy as I don't quite recall a the moment.

Hauk - Sorry, I can't answer your question  :-[, I just sent them off to Cawthron Institute (a technology development centre) for treating, I will try and get some information on the process and pass it on.

Regards to all.

eTraxx

How interesting! Found the term on Wikipeida

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tumblehome

France was predominantly strong in promoting the tumblehome design in their warships, advocating tumblehome reduced the weight of the upper deck, as well as making the vessels more seaworthy and creating greater freeboard.
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

Design-HSB

First of all is the finished many beautiful details.

But this case touch me 2 things uncomfortable and though.

1. The repeated reminder that everything has been prepared without CAD and CNC.
2. With the bare brass parts of the ship for me looks more like an operetta steamer and not as a warship.

to 1. I'm not even want me to learn old 3 D CAD and has a chance to anyone who wants and is not afraid of the effort.
to 2. I like to spend more realistic looking models and if I can not be distinguished from a photo model and reality, I love it.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

1-32

but looking at the design what a big target it must have been -hard to miss.
no wonder that naval design evolved to much smaller target area.
regards kim

marc_reusser

Wow, guys, I am so sorry I let roger into this forum.... He promised me in the registration email that he was a somewhat skilled an competent modeler...I had no idea that this was what he considers skilled and competent. Oh the Horror.   ;D :P

....well, back to the floor, where I fell out of my chair, after seeing the work in this thread. I need to find the proper superlatives.

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

finescalerr

Oh, are you in town? You've made yourself even more scarce than Nick! -- Russ

shropshire lad

Quote from: finescalerr on December 02, 2014, 12:09:16 AM
Oh, are you in town? You've made yourself even more scarce than Nick! -- Russ

At least I look in several times a day , even if I don't say anything .