• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

No title yet, but it's a boat

Started by Gordon Ferguson, August 11, 2014, 02:55:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gordon Ferguson

Came across this photo couple of weeks ago, and it just appealed .......... Also thought it might just encourage a fellow member here to finish his ship dio  ;D

Based on the Revell tugboat, the hull was cut to waterline configuration and the stern cut of and remodelled

As you can see , I first planed to upscale to 1/35 but even I could see that with start of the wheelhouse it wasn't going to work ....... So plan B 1/48 scale
I had also decided I wanted the engine compartment open, which meant I needed to have the hull below the waterline and the shape had to be correct to show the propellor shaft, etc, etc  ...... So much much for forward planning. Any way by cutting, shunting and extending managed to make the bit of the hull I had already cut off fit the bill

Modified the kit bulwarks, built the engine compartment coatings and new wheelhouse

It's now at this stage , most of the major construction has been done .... Although since these photos have been taken done a few changes to the bow area. The white lines on red hull look over the top as representative of the weld lines but in reality there are only about 2 to 3 thou thick so hoping when they get paint on them they will just be visible

Lots of small details to add, bollards, towing beam etc so will see what progress happens this week

Gordon

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Malachi Constant

I like the variety of your projects and the quality of your work re-shaping and re-detailing with styling!

Don't know anything 'bout boats though, so don't ask me that!  ;D

Cheers,
Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Chuck Doan

Looking good Gordon! Will there be an engine showing?
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Andi Little

Looking really good Gordon, enjoyed the preview but very grateful for these "in-process" shots, gives one an insight into your thinking. As opposed to your mind which I suspect is a bit dark and musty?? Pretty much how you succeed so well with your weathering then!

Seriously - Great Job .......... I'm really trying not to make mine 1/24 scale (Why can't I break out from this scale) - But there is such a beast as a "River, or Canal tug". And they are funky little things, pretty much all engine but barely big enough to stand on, cannot find a picture of anything with such an elegant hull though. So if mine gets off the ground (s'cuse pun) it'll be another one of those rubbishy whimsical things.

Well done.

This too big for 1/24 but you get the drift - I'm sounding terribly nautical lately.
KBO..................... Andi.

Gordon Ferguson

Nice picture Andi,  yes harbour tugs, river tugs, launch tugs , canal tugs ....... Very fond of these little beasties, got all the bits of big boats but at a size which can be modelled by people like me with a short concentration span

This one is one of my favourites

About 36' long

Or

About 42'

Or

I happen to have plans for this , in its earlier days before enclosed wheelhouse ....... When men were men  ;D

Will bring with me on Thursday

Gordon

Ray Dunakin

That last one looks like it's about 8" from sinking!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

BKLN

This looks very promising, Gordon!

5thwheel

Very nice Gordon.

It reminds me very much of Napoleon a little rafting tug my farther in law operated at the Deep River log dump at Miller Point Road. It was owned by Brusco Raft and Tug Service.  The Napoleon did not have raised sides. It would be very much like if you removed the raised sides and made a step down into the little cab. She had tow cleats bow and stern with side cleats.  The Napoleon was sold at an auction in 1989 and I have no idea who bought it.  I operated the Napoleon quite often when we would spend a week end up there. Was a very nice handling tug and fairly powerful with the diesel engine. I am guessing , from memory, that it was about 15 -18 feet long. Basically all engine, fuel tank and small cab with a steel hull wrapped around it.
Bill Hudson
Fall down nine times,
get up ten.

Gordon Ferguson

Bill

That's sounds really interesting , any pic by chance of Napoleon ?   .... Great name ;D

Chuck

Was planning  an engine, but was advised by Mr Reusser that it was probably un-necessary as I was going to do it as a derelict anyway so by just including a few bits lying around of the engine ......  like rocker cover, manifold, etc, etc ..... It would increase the desolation factor ......... Think he just wanted to get me closer to "painting" , however do tend to agree, so no engine

Got the last couple of pieces sorted out , towing beam & bits, bit of detail around the bow ...... So paint looms :(

Gordon

LesTindall

That's looking great Gordon, wondered what you were up to when you mentioned "boat".  Nice to here you are in to "dereliction".

Les

LesTindall

Here is a very derelict boat

Barney

Very nice our Gordon - inspiration big time
Barney

marc_reusser

Paint! Paint! Paint! Oy! Oy! Oy.....Paint! Paint! Paint! Oy! Oy! Oy!........
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Gordon Ferguson

Marc, you obviously have not heard the news ;)

Glasgow's last shipyard Ferguson Shipbuilders set to close.......... So that solves the paint issue.  ;)

( not funny for the people involved, but could not resist )
Gordon