• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Fordson tugger hoist

Started by Chuck Doan, January 10, 2017, 09:04:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Gill

Very effective texture. JB Weld is pretty versatile stuff.

TRAINS1941

Chuck the texture is really nice.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

nk

Chuck the texture is spot on. Which J B Weld product did you use?
Narayan
You may ask yourself: "Well, how did I get here?"

http://public.fotki.com/nkhandekar/

Chuck Doan

Thanks Guys! Narayan, I used the regular JB Weld, and some JB Kwik for small areas and touch up.

Main difference is the dry time, overnight for the regular and 4-5 minutes for the Kwik (making it best for smaller areas). The regular can be worked for 1-2 hours before it starts to become un-workable. 
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Chuck Doan

Finally got a start on the paint and the beginning of the weathering. I have found that a good paint stripping method is as important as any application method. This is the sixth try. I have a vat of Windex, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Lot's more to do.

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

finescalerr

Not bad for a sixth attempt. -- Russ

TRAINS1941

Quote from: finescalerr on May 23, 2017, 11:25:02 AM
Not bad for a sixth attempt. -- Russ

Yes and it came out so perfect.  Amazing.

Jerry
George Carlin

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Chuck Doan

Thanks Guys!

Some more weekend progress. Added some nuts and the adjusting struts, and continued with the weathering. For what it's worth, here are the steps. So far this is just a big experiment.

Base coat was Mr. Surfacer Mahogany primer. Followed by hairspray (from a spritzer bottle) airbrushed on. Then a spray can coat of Tamiya enamel Dull Red as a thickener coat for more defined chip edges (multiple or heavy coats of acrylics only tends to make rubbery peels). Then the color coat mix of of Tamiya XF-1 Flat black and XF-63 German Grey airbrushed on. Chipped with a sharp plastic stick after dampening the surface.

Started weathering using Prismacolor Premier pencils. Dip tip in water and rub on sandpaper to get "paint" (can mix colors, no problem) Apply with damp cosmetic sponge: Dab in "paint", then tamp on a hard surface to unload as desired, and then lightly duft on the model.  Build up or remove, to desired effect. Can be removed with a damp sponge if it goes to heck. Seal with lite Dullcoat spray, which does not affect the penciling. Final step is sodabrushing using a Mini sandblaster and baking soda at 15-20 PSI to dull.

Oil residue is Black and Brown oil paints mixed with very fine powdered dirt.  Applied with a soft brush and edges blended with the sponge. Assuming final coloring/dulling/ glossing will be done when the oil paints finally dry (someday).

Gordon Ferguson

Excellent , as to be expected  ;)

Thanks for the detailed explanation , think I will be " borrowing " your paint mixes, etc, etc for  the loco
Gordon

Bill Gill

Chuck, That is terrific! Thanks for the how-to.

TRAINS1941

Excellent.  The coloring is just perfect.  Your eye for realistic coloring is unbelievable.

Jerry
George Carlin

EZnKY

Eric Zabilka
Lexington, Kentucky

Ray Dunakin

There is nothing that gives it away as a model!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

The giveaway is that it's on a white background. They'd never get a dirty, heavy item like that on a seamless backdrop without making a big mess. Gee, anyone can fool you guys .... Elementary. -- Sherlock