• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

24 inch Engine Lathe in 1/16 (Finished!)

Started by lab-dad, August 18, 2012, 02:43:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Chuck Doan

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

lab-dad

Tool holder and apron finished, sort of.
Still need the lever and handwheels.
FWIW the tool holder works as the real deal as do the pivot/angle adjuster and the tool feed/adjust.
I may increase the size of some of the hardware.
-Marty

TRAINS1941

If that doesn't look like the real thing I don't know what does.

And moving parts no less.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

NE Brownstone

Nice work Marty.  Being an owner of an old 24" belt slapper at one time I can say everything looks about right.   Nice Job on the back gears.

Here's a story about a small lathe built by prisoners in a Japanese prison during WWII.  And modern prisoners think they are so innovative making shanks out of steel chunks and tattoo machines out of tape recorders.

http://machineshop.olin.edu/resources/documents/Prison%20Camp%20Lathe.pdf
Russ
The other, other Russ

lab-dad

Thanks Russ.
Great story, thoroughly enjoyed it!
Brought back memories of "Hogan's Hero's"
-Marty

SandiaPaul

May I make a suggestion?  The rocker under your tool bit is too large, I mean too tall.
Take a look at pictures or instruction books and see how tall they are, they are usually only a small "boat" shape. See some examples here:

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&tok=ig1MW18bofoQcoTe09L4zA&ds=bo&pq=machinst&cp=18&gs_id=1ud&xhr=t&q=how+to+run+a+lathe&safe=off&um=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&biw=1454&bih=774&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=HnBaUM6WOuPu0gGgxoHACA#um=1&hl=en&safe=off&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=lantern+tool+post+holder&oq=lantern+tool+post&gs_l=img.1.1.0i24l2.28760.33094.2.35938.17.12.0.5.5.0.159.1114.8j4.12.0...0.0...1c.1.T9gbLK9Pspc&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=d8712af1ae4bb980&biw=1454&bih=774

If you search I'm sure you will find a prototype for a tall one but its certainty not common. Too a machinist it looks odd.

I say this from many years of exposure to machine tools and direct experience with these (awful) types of tool posts.  In fact they do have their advantages, but are generally hard to use and not all that rigid.

I make it a habit to not criticize(maybe that makes me an odd ball on this forum ;)? ) But this just sticks out like a sore thumb to me.

All else is fantastic...I'd like to see a whole shop!

Paul
Paul

lab-dad

Paul,
First off Thanks!
And your absolutely correct.
It has bothered me since I made it. I think I will relegate this one to a parting tool of sorts, or a larger cutter!
I will get to making some new ones soon (need more .156" rod)
Thank you for being honest!

Better?

The "whole shop" is planned, now if I just live that long!
-Marty

michael mott

SandiaPaul

Marty,

Yes Marty...but can I nitpick more? ;0

This is one area I know something about so...here goes:

1. The ring under the "boat" shape should be dished down to fit the bottom of the boat shape, in reality it is a spherical shape but for the model I think a gentle angle would look good.

2. The bolt to tighten the tool should have a square head as should the wrench of course.  Square headed bolts were very commonly used back then, and even how the lantern tool post uses a square head bolt.

Minor details I know, but you are working at such a large scale that they will be noticeable(to me anyway!)

Thanks for your indulgence,

Paul
Paul

michael mott

Paul your observations are spot on, even the Southbend that I used at the university had the conditions you note, as does the Myford that I have now. with respect to the toolpost.
This is the wonderful thing about this site, the level of observation and great critical input to improve the level of the models, is the best on the web.

Michael

lab-dad

Damn,
I was hoping you wouldn't catch me on those two points!
Your right, I actually have thought about both items but thought I would try and get away with it! :-\ :-\ :-\
I will fix them, and THANKS for nitpicking!

-Marty

Barney

Blow your mind and go wild young man its looking good - this big stuff is pretty addictive
Barney

lab-dad

Well the construction phase is complete!
Thanks to "Mr. Potato Head" I was able to make a 4-Jaw chuck!! Thanks Gil!!
-Unless Paul catches any more of my mistakes!
(I'm beginning to hate square fasteners!)

Seriously though, speak now or forever hold your tongue!

Now all I have to do is;
take it apart.
Paint it
put it back together
some chips, stains and swarf
And build a building to put it all in!

I had the three machines out and together, can not wait for the lathe to be painted and take a "family photo"!

-Marty

finescalerr