• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

"Chuck Doan" wood knot method

Started by Carlo, September 02, 2021, 01:38:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carlo

Sometime in the distant past, Chuck Doan showed  how he makes and installs/weathers knots in a wooden board. Does anyone else remember, and do you have a link to that thread?
Carlo... gettin' knotty

finescalerr

I don't know about the thread on this forum but I do have step by step instructions by Chuck. They appear on page 81 of the very first Modelers' Annual, Winter 2008. You probably have a copy somewhere, Carlo. If not, send me a note and I'll send you the instructions. -- Russ

TRAINS1941

Quote from: finescalerr on September 03, 2021, 12:31:46 AM
I don't know about the thread on this forum but I do have step by step instructions by Chuck. They appear on page 81 of the very first Modelers' Annual, Winter 2008. You probably have a copy somewhere, Carlo. If not, send me a note and I'll send you the instructions. -- Russ

Those were the days!!!

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

finescalerr

Yeah, and they were the days when I worked six or seven days a week with no help. Also, in those days, the hobby was still alive and well so it was possible to get articles. Times sure have changed. -- Russ

Chuck Doan

In O scale I used a toothpick glued into a hole and then cut off. Something another modeler came up with, maybe Bill Miller. In 1/16th scale, I drill/file a hole, sometimes a  bit oval and then sand a stick of basswood on my disc sander to match, usually with a slight taper. Then I glue and tap it in and then cut it flush. Add cross splits if desired w a sharp knife.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

WP Rayner

Quote from: Chuck Doan on September 03, 2021, 07:49:01 PM
In O scale I used a toothpick glued into a hole and then cut off. Something another modeler came up with, maybe Bill Miller.

You may well be right about Bill. He was the first person I saw who used that method back in the 1990s. If you drill the hole at an angle, insert the toothpick and cut it off, you'll also end up with an oval-shaped knot.
Paul

Stay low, keep quiet, keep it simple, don't expect too much, enjoy what you have.

Mobilgas

Wow 2008 thats going back in my magizine stash ;D  Might be worth BIG Money in a couple years.
Craig

TRAINS1941

Quote from: Mobilgas on September 04, 2021, 06:15:15 AM
Wow 2008 thats going back in my magizine stash ;D  Might be worth BIG Money in a couple years.

I doubt it Craig according to UNC the hobby is dead!!  Except for the ones still modeling!!

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

finescalerr

Jerry, we may still build models or like model trains but each year our numbers decline. So when I write "alive and well", I refer to the decline in the large number of active hobbyists who bought a lot of stuff. Today that number is half of what it was seven years ago. I don't mean our hobby has disappeared altogether.

As somebody who had depended on those hobbyists to earn his living, I had to evaluate model trains strictly as a business.

On the other hand, since I am now a hobbyist and not a business, I no longer care whether any manufacturer or publisher is still in business as long as I can buy raw materials and tools to build what I want. I no longer care whether 3 million or 30 guys build models as long as a few inspire me. But I still look at the hobby industry in the same way as I used to. Get it?

Russ