• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

The Sands of Time (Ma.K. AFS Mk1) [Rusting]

Started by marc_reusser, March 31, 2009, 08:15:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc_reusser

Well...back to the Mak.....

For some reason I went against all my better judgement, and sealed the rust base colors with a matte sealer....and it did exactly what I hate about sealers...it took away all definitiona and individuality of the various rust tones, and "blended' them into one same sheen/finish.

....on the bright side, the sealer really saved my ass, because I had a complete brain-fart, and sprayed on the paint without adding the hairspray first.....luckily, because of the sealer, I was able to use the Tamiya X-20A thinner and a stiff brush to scrub off the color coat....which actually IMO yielded a really interesting and cool finish and pitted looking surface [I will definitely work with this effect on another project].....

Some varied color tones were added using Tamiya and Games Workshop paints.

Then it was on to the first round of chipping.  The blue and green base layer was chipped first, then the orange-rose color was masked, sprayed with hairspray and color, and chipped.

....some mapping and and then more weathering to come.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

jacq01

MORE, MORE, MORE,  your experiments are contagious.
    Fantastic results..

I'll have to get my airbrush out of the attic.

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

lab-dad

I've said it before;
A true "master" is not great, he just knows how to fix his screw ups!
Great save, and another great tip to try!
Looking good so far.
Did you get the skull?
-Mj

John McGuyer

You have an amazing ability to break down colors and get them located relative to one another.

John

marc_reusser

Thanks guys. So far it has been a very helpful project in trying out some new techniques and trying to get specific finishes. It's easy to buils and robust, which makes it perfect for removing mistakes and starting over without a lot of worries about fragile details and time invested.

Marty; Skull is not here yet...and I am still trying to find an easy out to building a skeleton arm and hand (I think I need to make a trip to that germ and disease cesspool known as Toys-R-Us  :-\)  ....it would be better if it were Halloween instead of Easter.

Marc

M-Works

Ronald

Great, great, great! I really like this technique. Could you tell more?

QuoteLord preserve us! Brother Marc is off the deep end. 1:700 scale destroyers. Robots clawing dirt. And no doubt coming soon ... the men in the white coats! I have but one word of advice (before it is too late!): P-R-O-Z-A-C.

Yes, your right, but as I see the progress.... well, let him take some prozac more and let the white guys come  ;D ;D ;)

Grtz, Ron.

marc_reusser

Thanks Ronald,

Have a look here on the MIG forum. It is a 4-page thread, complete with SBS, photos, comments and discussion of the "Hairspray Technique", will give you the best explanation and more than you probably ever wanted to know ;) ;D.  If you have questions or need any additional info/clarification after reading, let me know.

Cheers

Marc

M-Works

jacq01

Marc,

Quotewhich actually IMO yielded a really interesting and cool finish and pitted looking surface

This looks exactly like sandmoulded castings.  Never seen this in plastic models so far.
   Great SBS. Looking forward to the rest.

Jacq
I am what I remember.

Ronald

marc_reusser

M-Works

TRAINS1941

WHEN THEY COME TO GET YOU, I'D LIKE TO GO WITH YOU!!  JUST TO LEARN SOMETHING THEN RETURN!!!

JUST TOTALLY AWESOME WORK.

JERRY
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

jacq01

Jerry

QuoteJUST TO LEARN SOMETHING THEN RETURN!!!

Don't you see it. ......  There IS NO RETURN 

Jacq
I am what I remember.

marc_reusser

Quote from: TRAINS1941 on April 16, 2009, 03:21:28 PM
WHEN THEY COME TO GET YOU, I'D LIKE TO GO WITH YOU!!  JUST TO LEARN SOMETHING THEN RETURN!!!

JERRY

I don't know about that. Last time it happend that they came and got me it was a bright ligh, little green men, and I vaugely recall all sorts of probing. :o

Marc

M-Works

marc_reusser

Small and slow progress.

Today it was "mapping"/discoloring the color chips. This shows the areas of mapping in the rose colored areas of the shoulder plate, and beginning on the helmet. Mapping was done using thinned Vallejo acrylics applied with a 0/18 brush. The rose colored areas were done in a random mix of pink and white, while the green areas were done in a mix of pale blue and yellow.

Next comes the start of rusting with the oils.

Marc

M-Works

RoughboyModelworks

Quote from: marc_reusser on April 17, 2009, 12:26:45 PM

I don't know about that. Last time it happend that they came and got me it was a bright ligh, little green men, and I vaugely recall all sorts of probing. :o

Well, such an in-depth experience undoubtedly explains a lot...   ;D

Very nicely done Marc. I particularly like the effect you've achieved on the numbered panel. Very convincing...

Paul