• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

The play ground

Started by Daniel, July 24, 2022, 03:39:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel

I got today another 30  plants ('Baby Tears' in the UK, 'Slaapkamergeluk' here in the Netherlands, no idea in the US or other countries but the official (latin?)  name is 'Soleirolia-Soleirolii')

IMG_0002 (46) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

IMG_0001 (36) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

... and ordered  more glycerin that will be here on Monday.

Once the Glycerin is here i will shear all of them and do the second harvest of the old ones which were 42 in good second grow until the too hot days killed or damaged almost half of them. Then they will all go for two weeks in the hotwater/glycerin bath and the last foliage production from 2022 will bew do...Ah, no, there is more:

I got also this moss which is very different from the old known Iceland one being commercialized since the sixties:

IMG_0001 (19) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

IMG_0002 (40) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

Yes, it needs a lot of cleaning but is doable and worth to give it a try.
And so i did with a first try that was cleaned but not threated because Mss. Impatience was here again and... Well, you know. But i gave it a bit of AerocoloR airbrushing and even if it still need a bit of gray it looks promissing...

IMG_0001 (23) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

I am going to experiment also adding green inkt to the glycerin bath. No idea if it will work but will learn dat. That will be in a separate bath because no way would i risk the 'mass production' of Birch foliage.

Daniel

Daniel

... and now seeing the photo of the dirty moss i see may be the split needles from pine trees that came with it teach me how to make nice, delicate palm trees by putting strong PVA glue at both inner sides of the splet needle a, laying tramsversal lengths of appropriate green Sisal  between the needle halves and closing the needle under a light weight. If it works you will probably hear me singing wherever you are.

Daniel

Daniel

Here a link to part of the short but intense story of my home layout. It is short because only seven pages, but every page...well, you'll notice.
It is in spanish because the forum also is but if there are any questions, critics, comments or jokes about i will be pleased to read & answer.

It all started in May 2017, after dismantling "ROCHEFORT" (of which you have already seen some images of the yard and the high street) and "PONDÉZAR" a folding portable layout. Both French scenes and more or less in the period 1880-1930
I had no plans for a layout, my intention was only to make a small diorama to trust myself after the junkyard concert on the previous two layouts... but as always "if you want God to smile tell him your plans!"...

https://www.forotrenes.com/foro/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=86519

Daniel

Daniel

Today the whole process of the new foliage started anmd now it is all in the glycerin bath wher it will stay two weeks.(Come on, Daniel, you know you rarely have so much patience and as mostly in ten days will be already drying at the windowsill!)

These are some of the survivers of previous harvests which were doing really well until a couple of weeks ago we got several days of 36C to 39C and most died at the balcony because ... well, i forgot to brinmg them inside.  :(  From forty only twelve survived...

IMG_0009 (485) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

They look a bit flater and darker than the new ones and the leaves are a bit smaller but that is because are the same plant but in a different variation.
After processed no one will notice.

IMG_0010 (479) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

These are all new ones but the harvester has already done the cutting to the one in my hand...

IMG_0002 (48) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

Those with green finger know, of course, better than i, but for all others: the ground in the pot is not flat at the top and if you cut with the scissors horizontally as in next photo you would kill the plant which roots never grows deep...

IMG_0007 (500) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

The best thing is to probe with the top of the finger the situation and cut holding the scissors  at the convemnient angle, as in next image...

IMG_0008 (494) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

This is what should remain...

IMG_0005 (551) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

... and this is what you are going to drop directly (no drying, no washing, just droping)in the glycerin bath: 30% glycerine, 70% warm (not hot) water. Is better to keep the bath in the dark until you remove the foliage. I simply drop on the container a piece of black plastic and take care of letting it in a tranquile cool place.

More about in two wee... O.k.,  probably ten daysor so.

Daniel

Daniel

Nature also a scale modeller of itself?

See the small green island at the foreground...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/98278510@N07/27152053097/in/photostream/

Mr. Wallet
(...trying to convince Magoo to avoid buying materials.)

Daniel

Here an old experiment that i may give a new chance.
It worked and it worked well but the muses have been throwing ideas at the back of my head and some seem good so... We'll see. For the time being the old experiment...

DSC00252 by d.caso, on Flickr

DSC00250 by d.caso, on Flickr

Gently presing the styrene C profile in place...

DSC00251 by d.caso, on Flickr

Once the sandwich has been closed i sumerged it in hot water for some seconds, cooled it with tap water and ...

DSC00242 by d.caso, on Flickr

Yes, the pattern should be made more carefully taking care for the curves to be curves withouty knicks but i wanted to see if could be done...

DSC00244-001 by d.caso, on Flickr

One shoud also avoid these accidents:

DSC00243 by d.caso, on Flickr

DSC00245 by d.caso, on Flickr

DSC00246 by d.caso, on Flickr

DSC00248 by d.caso, on Flickr

DSC00249 by d.caso, on Flickr

One thing is sure: it will be a lot easier to make the frame in two identical  C shapes runing from the middle of one coupler box to the other and joining there.

But, o.k., still not polished but the idea is now yours too.

Magoo

Daniel

BRICK WALLS

I started with two Tamiya # 35028 BRICK WALLL sets...

https://www.super-hobby.nl/products/Brick-Wall-Set.html

... and made a huge rectangular wall...

P1720752 by d.caso, on Flickr

You notice the parts are all triangles but that is 95% visual effect...

P1720754 by d.caso, on Flickr

P1720756 by d.caso, on Flickr

.. easily solved with a very light sanding. It helps a lot if the sanding is done carefully so not to leave all sanding traces running in the same direction. Anyway that won't be a serious issue once one got the silicone mold of the wall, cast a bunch of brick panels in plaster to keep a small provission and work out the piece you need for your actual project with little strips of sandpaper of different grain glued to the end of a wooden stick no biguer than a brick... you get it.
The advantage is that with a sharp metal point and a sharp mess one can brake here and there as many bricks as needed to create any grade of heavy weathering needed.

P1720757 by d.caso, on Flickr

P1720760 by d.caso, on Flickr

P1720761 by d.caso, on Flickr

P1720762 by d.caso, on Flickr

P1720762-001 by d.caso, on Flickr

IMG_0004 (516) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

IMG_0003 (546) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

IMG_0002 (51) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

3D weathering such a wall cast in plaster gives the beautiful chance to 'damage'individual bricks in every desired way but leaving behind a natural rough surface. I love it.
Anyway, i preffer the errors of a hand scribed piece of foam because also if visually the result is less accurate, if fits a lot better the atmosphere i want to get in the spirit of organic architecture.
Yes, i know, that is heretic in this part of the world but you must already have noticed i am not an authentic finescaler!  :- )

Magoo

Daniel

It is just a simple example for working with foam

P1780275 by d.caso, on Flickr

P1780276 by d.caso, on Flickr

P1780277 by d.caso, on Flickr

P1780278 by d.caso, on Flickr

... so...

P1780279 by d.caso, on Flickr

P1780280 by d.caso, on Flickr

P1780281 by d.caso, on Flickr

P1780282 by d.caso, on Flickr

P1780283 by d.caso, on Flickr

P1780285 by d.caso, on Flickr

It just came to my head and i gave it this try many years ago but never used it yet.

Magoo

Ray Dunakin

Very good results from such a simple trick!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Carlo

Nice texture. Why are there holes in the sandpaper?
Carlo

Daniel

Thank you, Carlo.

If you mean the rectangular holes, well, it was the fastest & easy way to ensure the imprinting of the grain wouldn't touch the area i wanted to remain glad. Even more important: it ensures one will be able to make -if needed- all windows same size.

But if you mean the round holes, those are standard for the vacuum to take the dust while sanding with the machine.

Daniel

Daniel

I've found this as an offer among plenty of super cheap decorative object for christmas, easter or whatever...

P2160134 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

I bought some and found it could be...

P2160138 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

P2160135 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

P2160139 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

P2160133 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

I shaped, rounded and sanded (as coarse as possible) the whole surface, all keeping a longitudinal movement...

P2160181 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

... and then started to do from below circular cuttings around the trunk, trying to keep them more or less parallel to each other (not precision work!) with the sharp edge of the knife...

P2160182 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

Then i pressed on every circle a bit but this time with the dull side of the blade...

(Don't ask me why. I just did it and it worked!  :o )

P2160185 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

P2160183 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

P2160186 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

P2160187 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

P2160188 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

... and then repeated both, cutting and pressing, but this time making two inclined circles on each 'step' each inclined in oposite direction than the previous. That way a stapple of diamond patterns arised. And i liked that...

P2160189 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

P2160190 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

P2160191 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

A layer of diluted China ink...

P2160192 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

P2160193 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

P2160196 (3) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

... and while the ink was still wet, i rubbed a piece of cloth (longitudinally) to remove all the ink that didn't found a place to hide...

P2160200 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

P2160201 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

P2160202 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

Next was simulating the hanging dead leaves at the top of the trunk...

P2160199 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

For that i used some of the twings in the photo below...

P2160205 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

... glued them in place and painted them not caring for the top that anyway would desappear under the green leaves...

P2160204 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

This effect was what i was seeking...

P2160204 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

The plastic leaves need at first to get curved to fit the wanted model. I did that by submerging each leave in hot water for a few second and curving it to the wanted shape with my fingers.

The next step was  colouring them.
I know nothing about Palm trees and was too lazy to search so, as mostly, i let my hand  lead me and the result were two different sets: one with the points of the blades pointing up and the other down.
Another difference is one set got some brown colour at it's stem and the othe just same green as the leaves...

P2160246 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

P2160247 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

P2160249 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

I had never before used hotglue gun so i tried it at glueing in place the leaves...
and it worked...

P2160259 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

P2160258 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

P2160256 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

By then i was completting (...)  the first section of the layout so tried the Palm tree ina possibke place...

P2160263 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

I found it not misplaced so it stayed there for a couple of years...

P2160260 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

But everything i build are for me as parts of the playground, simply as a little kid's toys box, where everything belongs but never gets a definitive position...
So twhat you see in the two las images above and below are showing just a play: almost nothing is glued in place except the components of the terrain. Not even the buildings...

P2160260 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

And this is what the other set of leaves provided:

P2160292 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

P2160290 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

P2160293 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

P2160295 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

P2160297 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

P2160298 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

P2160299 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

P2160300 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

Then the muses said it was time to celebrate with a glass of wine but my first harvest was not yet ripe...

P2160321 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

Magoo

Daniel

I didn't know by then the growing intentions of the diorama. In my naivety i assumed it would just stop at the corners... Well, it didn't: it's planed 60cm becamefour meters and then a 90degree curve to the right and another couple of meters added (...until now!)
The fact is i wanted to cancel the ugly corner some less space eating way than a curved backdrop. (Yes, afterwards i regret that but things were already done...)
So , seeking for an option i thought a tall square birck chimney could do the job...

P2170144 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

P2170134 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

P2170136 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

P2170139 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

P2170140 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

P2170143 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

P2170142 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

As you see below, just two sides are tapered and scribed because the other two should be glued onto the backdrop...

P2170146 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

P2170147 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

P2170148 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

Considering that Magoo's eyes are not those of a lynx, the scribing work was a not amusing task...

P2170178 (3) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

P2170179 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

P2170181 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

P2170183 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

P2170195 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

(The spray can is there just ato support the chimney for the photo)

P2170196 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

P2170197 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

This was the idea...

P2170204 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

... but instead of adding the final panel of the blue background life happened and took it's own course.

P2170205 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

Magoo

finescalerr

Nice bricks. - Russ

Bill Gill

Daniel, I just looked at all you newest photos here and like your enjoyment of experimenting with all kinds of materials and techniques.