• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Home Made Riveter

Started by Bernd, August 24, 2021, 12:53:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernd

Here's a tool I built many years ago. I built it at the place I was employed. I was working in the companies tool room doing first piece inspection on production machines. During a loll I had some free time to build this cast iron riveter. It's based on an article in Model Railroader way back when. The author built his out of wood. Having access to lathes, milling machines and other tooling in the tool room I built one out of cast iron and tool steal.

I don't have any dimensions at hand presently but could draw it up and post a PDF file.

The "L" shaped arm is movable to give certain travel to the "hammer". This way you'll always get consistent size rivets.

I'm sure you're wondering how to space the rivets. I use a 2D CAD program to draw up the rivets and print it out and used spray adhesive to attach the printed rivets. The following pictures should be quite self explanatory. This how I did the rivets on the side of On30 boxcab on .020" thick styrene.

New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy. - Route of the Black Diamonds

SandiaPaul

Nice work. I have that old MR article saved somewhere.
Paul

Ray Dunakin

That's a nice piece of hardware!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Bernd

Thanks Paul & Ray.

Works pretty goo to for what I need to do.

Bernd

Lawton Maner

Nice work.  If I'm correct that article was back in the dark ages when MR actually was interested in teaching modelers how to do things other then open boxes and set the built up model onto the track. 
     Every journey of a millions rivets starts with a single hammer blow.

Barney

Very Interesting and a great idea
Barney
Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson

Bernd

Just updated some links that were broken to pictures on the first post.

Bernd

finescalerr

Thank you for updating the links. For years I begged everyone to post jpegs directly to the forum because the links so often broke. Dozens of threads became useless and I finally gave up. So I really appreciate the effort you made, Bernd. -- Russ

Bernd

Quote from: finescalerr on June 17, 2023, 08:26:36 PMThank you for updating the links. For years I begged everyone to post jpegs directly to the forum because the links so often broke. Dozens of threads became useless and I finally gave up. So I really appreciate the effort you made, Bernd. -- Russ

The links won't have been broken if I would have not shut own my interest in TT gauge. Right now there are only three forums I participate in and yours is one of them. So I can pretty much keep track of my posts. I was involved in the Freerails until it went full bust and on the TTnut forum until I left there due to my differences with the Admin. If there are differences between me and the Admin I take my toys and go to another sandbox. Also I ask members who read my posts if a picture does not show up to contact me so I can fix it. One other reason for not uploading my pictures is I knowhow to do it and it's easy for me. I leave the room on the server I don't take up for others that have no other way to post pictures. So if I post a picture and it disappears let me know. It's probably something I did on my site.

Bernd