• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

"Moving Day" new diorama in 1/35 scale already in progress

Started by Junior, September 16, 2013, 01:23:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junior

Thanks very much guys! It´s really fun to be back  ;D!

Marc.
Pictures are from either Swedish newspaper or museum archives found on the Internet.

Dallas.
Cobblestones and curbstones are from Diorama Debris, Plus Models, Royal Models and Add on Parts. Paving stones in alley are from Royal Model.

The door is scratchbuilt out of wood but I copied the Mini Art design and used their handle which I might replace. I also downsized the door quite a bit (it was way too big) so maybe that´s why it doesn´t look so clunky at least not to me.

All the hardware and hinges are scratch and some of the windows are from Plus Models and Mini Art totally rebuilt, less panes etc. etc.

The back of the building halves will be covered up except for the alley itself which also have a functional ceiling light. The room at the end wall of the yellow building has a full interior also with a functional light so in the upcoming night pictures you will be able to see all of that.

Anders

Hauk

Wow! Spectacular diorama. It deserves to be on permanent display in a suitable museum.

Regards, Hauk
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

Barney

Lovely stuff -superb detail so many places to look at - the bike shot makes it
Barney

marc_reusser

Uh....wow, holy-moly...what a great piece. love all the textures and details. You really have captured the look and feel. So glad to see you posting again...and what an entre. ;D
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Alexandre

Beautiful. So much details to spot in every pictures.
I love the bicycle picture taken from under the arch!
:)Bravo. 

Silveradonorthern

Wow! Anders that is some awesome modeling. I'll be watching to see how the diorama unfolds.

Michael
Michael

shropshire lad

Anders ,

You have produced another superb diorama and I love the scene that you are portraying . Definitely inspiration to do something similar for myself , along with Per Olaf's recent creation . However , I have a bit of a problem with it . Nothing to do with your modelling but how you are presenting the diorama . If it were mine I would consider enclosing the whole diorama in a box and restrict  what the viewer can see . If you had the main view looking through the double gates with a secondary opening through the arch I think that you would take the quality of the diorama to a higher level . I would have an opaque Perspex top so that light will shine onto the scene and if you wanted to highlight different areas you could control how much light comes through using some sort of shutter system . Nothing to complicated just bits of cardboard , or similar . You could then create shadowed areas like in the photos .

The main point to doing this , for me , would be to remove the ability of the viewer to see the back and sides of the diorama , which at the moment detracts from the overall effect . So it is for that reason I can only give it a 9 out of 10 at the moment ! You will get another half a point if you think my suggestion is worthy of consideration . Unfortunately 10 out of 10 is not achievable as it implies perfection and that would leave you with nothing left to strive for !

I am greatly looking forward to seeing what you come up with if and when you construct your module ,

Nick

finescalerr

Even though Nick seems to have escaped momentarily from the corner I think he's actually onto something. A diorama is really three-dimensional art. But, as with many works of art, especially paintings,  the viewer should see what the artist wants him to see.

Now, in the case of a sculpture, I suppose the artist wants you to see everything. But sometimes "everything" is too much. Your eyes may need a focal point. Well, at least my eyes prefer one.

About ten years ago we were at George Sellios' layout in Massachusetts. Scarlett and I (and I think Jerry Kitts, too) walked away with kind of a headache. The reason, as I realized when I whipped out the camera, was that there were no focal points. The eye didn't know where to stop and was "overloaded". George may have changed things since then but it reaffirmed a lesson I learned from Rick Runyon (a world class designer) and my father (a terrific photographer): Every picture should be a "target". The eye easily should find the center.

I admit that rule may not apply to every diorama (and most model railroad contests seem to require 360-degree viewing) but it certainly applies to the dioramas Chuck Doan has done over the past ten years and those Marc has done recently. Alex's Mogadishu diorama is a perfect example. So is Jacq's logging layout and the new display he is designing.

Even though Nick's idea might not apply everywhere, and as much as I hate to encourage him, it's a pretty good one. I'm certainly going to try to think in those terms when I eventually start modeling again. Yeah, "when" ... not "if".

Russ

Junior

Hauk, Barney, Marc R, Alexandre, Michael & Nick......thanks very much for your kind comments, much appreciated  ;D!

Nick, I hadn´t thought of your idea and will try it out with cardboard and if it works for me I will hopefully gain another half point  ;D!

However I´m aware of that this diorama is designed against all so called "rules" that should lead the viewer to the center BECAUSE it´s a square city block and you can´t angle the buildings. I was very close to build the two front buildings with full end walls and angle the outer "fake" walls towards the back like a wedge but decided it was a lot of extra work, especially with the roof, chimneys etc. and I´m not sure it would have helped very much. I did that with the residential building on the Bike Shop so I know what it takes but that dio has a totally different design.

I did just a little twist and placed it in a box that is not square, the street is wider to the left and that makes you at least look from left to right if you place it with the end wall straight. The dio is 51 cm wide and viewed from the center from a normal table you can back away as much as 2 meters without seeing the "fake" side walls. I´ll be most interested in hearing your input.....should I had designed it differently etc. ?

Anders

BKLN

This discussion is turning into a very interesting direction, since there is nothing to complain about, when it comes to Anders excellent model building.

The composition is indeed a key element in diorama building. It's a lesson I learned the hard way. When I built my Krakow's Garage diorama I was very inspired by Anders Krakow's garage and his train shed. The endless amount of clutter made perfect sense and was crucial for the overall feel. But on my version, the focal point was really the building itself, in particular the front wall. So technically, I could have (should have) only built that wall. It would have been a lot easier to handle and present as well.

Now for your "Moving Day" diorama, Anders - I could see this being broken up into 3 separate dioramas. Each of the building has so much detail to look at that they can easily stand on their own.

Junior

Hi Guys, time for an update.

Actually this project is FINISHED by now but I haven´t had a chance to shoot the final pictures yet. Anyway here are some progress pics. with quite a bit of work remaining.

All sorts of comments are welcome as I can still go back and improve.

Anders

Pic.1

Junior

Junior

Junior

Junior