• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

The Google SketchUp Thread

Started by marc_reusser, May 15, 2010, 11:24:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billmart

The easiest way to deal with trigonometric functions these days is to use an online calculator, like http://web2.0calc.com/

On that website you should see a matrix of "buttons" that resemble the buttons on a handheld calculator.  The top button of the left hand column should say 2nd.  The third button down in the left hand column should say   tan  (for tangent).  Put your cursor on the button that says 2nd and click your mouse.  The third button should now say   atan (for arctangent).  Make sure that Deg has been selected at the bottom of the matrix.  Now click the atan button.  That should make atan( appear in the top space of the matrix.  Next type 6/42 (the rise divided by the run) and then click on the = button.  The answer should now be displayed in the text box at the top of the matrix.

When you know the rise and run of a slope, the tangent of the angle that defines that slope is equal to the rise divided by the run.  The tangent is just a number with no dimensions.  To find the angle of the slope, you use the arctangent or (inverse tangent) of the tangent.  The arctangent gives the slope in degrees (or radians, but we don't want to go there).  When the rise and the run are equal values, the angle of the slope is 45 degrees, and the tangent of the angle is 1.0.  If we have a rise of 15 feet and a run of 15 feet, the tangent of the angle equals 15/15 (which is 1.0)  The arctangent of 1.0 is 45 degrees.

Okay, lesson over for today.  Please let me know if I need to clarify any of this.

Bill Martinsen

eTraxx

uhh .. use the protractor? I must be missing something here.
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

lab-dad

I'm so sorry I didnt learn sketchup sooner...........
It has really changed my modeling.
I still build most things by hand but some things are just easier and better in 3D.
It also allows me to "visualize" things outside of my head.
I'm lucky I have a pretty good 3D imagination but sometimes actually seeing it makes a difference.

You guys that are reluctant to try it need to.
There are guys here that are very helpful and I appreciate all they do/did/done!

Marty

finescalerr

Considering what a curmudgeon you can be about computer stuff, you sure learned SketchUp quickly and have become quite proficient. Disgusting. -- Russ

lab-dad

Thanks Russ but I am still a curmudgeon about computer crap......
And speaking of......

Figured i would try some NBW's since I am having trouble getting the size I want.
The NBW cluster below was copied from the first one (in green).
The bolts are 1mm and I used the 1mm as my minimum for all thickness'

When I sent it to shapeways it found some thin walls...
What gives?
The free program generating errors or the repairs done in meshlab and netfab creating the errors?
Even if a couple fail it is still cheaper than buying them and these are the right size.

Marty

lab-dad

Well another WTF?!

First image is the sketchup drawing
Second is what ends up on the screen at shapeways.

I have tried everything I can think of.
Exporting to SW directly from SU as a .dae then no meshlab or netfabb, meshlab only.
I reversed "faces" in SU
The middle (that disappears) is .25o" thick
what am I missing?

lab-dad

It appears i have "hit the wall" with sketchup.
Even in 1/16th some of the parts are too small.
But the biggest issue seems to be with the software.
I'm finding a work around for some things.
I will be looking into an "affordable" alternative to sketchup in the future.

-Marty

Hauk

Quote from: lab-dad on August 14, 2015, 06:43:28 AM
It appears i have "hit the wall" with sketchup.
Even in 1/16th some of the parts are too small.
But the biggest issue seems to be with the software.
I'm finding a work around for some things.
I will be looking into an "affordable" alternative to sketchup in the future.

-Marty

I had the same problem, and I solved it by drawing the parts in 10:1 scale. Since I work with metrics it was esasy to draw in cm in Sketchup, but setting the units to mm when making the stl. file
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

marc_reusser

Without seeing the actual digital file I cant really answer the question/see the problem. The first issue...with the nbws, I suspect it is once again a hidden repeated/double piece that is maybe slightly offset, causing "walls".

The second, I have a vague idea of what it might be.....bt cant be sure without the file.

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

lab-dad

Hawk,
I draw full scale to hopefully not have these issues.........

Marc,
In the NBW's I doubt it can be doubled walls as I copied the first one into a row of 10, then copied the row 5x with keyboard shortcuts. I would think if it was a doubled wall the error would be repeated, not random.

I really think it is software not playing nice.

As far as the band-saw I really think it is the same issue, I looked for holes at a very high magnification and played with "selecting" and found none.
I'm not worried at this point.
i will make do and am researching "other" software.

Right now Autodesk fusion looks nice and has lots of support and training.

-Marty

finescalerr

Marty, I can't believe what I'm reading. Mr. "I hate computers" is actually thinking about spending real American dollars on 3-D CAD software? You are my new poster boy for "when technology is the best tool, use it!" -- Russ

Chuck Doan

You can use 3D software every day and still hate computers.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

lab-dad

Im not buying software......
I dont even "own" a computer.
Mj

Bexley

I'm sure you could get Autodesk to run just fine on your abacus. How much VRAM does it have? Two bytes? Three?
CounterClockwise

Bexley Andrajack

lab-dad

I would like to draw then print some tires.
I have the dimensions and am going to start playing but I foresee some problems (deficit in my skill-set).
1. I have no idea how to do the tread.
2. I would like to "bulge" the bottom so it looks loaded.
3. I would like to make this year a "goodyear" as well as the tire sidewall.

-Marty