• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Old Wagons

Started by Scratchman, April 14, 2010, 03:56:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray Dunakin

Quote from: greenie on September 04, 2020, 07:38:31 PM
Pssst  Ray, -----------  a C-A-R-T has only 2 wheels ---------------- a Waggon has 4 wheels,  -----  so the dictionary tells me.  ;D  ::)

Ah, I see! I was not aware of that distinction.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

greenie

Completed a few more Furphy Water Carts.
First photo L to R,  shows a number 2, then a number 4 and a number 8.

Second photo L to R, shows a number 3 and a number 5.

finescalerr

Up to your usual impeccably adequate standards. Thanks for posting those beauties. -- Russ

Ray Dunakin

Ray Dunakin's World

Design-HSB

The originals had sublime writing on the ends of the tanks. If I see this correctly, is it also replicated with these excellent models, isn't it? If so, I would like to see a picture of it and learn more about the conversion into the model.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

greenie

Hi Helmut, I bought a 1/9th scale end cap from the Furphy factory and then made a mould of it, cast all the end caps from that.
These end caps had advertising on them, a rather novel way of getting the Water Carts to be noticed.

Over the decades, these end caps were replaced with more writing on them, so now you can date when the Water Tank was made.
The end cap that I have, is from the period of 1942 thru to 1965, that's why I'm attempting to make the 8 different tanks Furphy's had for sale, in that period.

Design-HSB

Have you ever thought about drawing the lettering and then etching them as a plate? Then I would stamp the plate. I've already done this with buffer plates made of 1 mm thick brass. You could press that e.B. into a rubber plate.

This buffer plate was created in this way.

I'm curious to see what happens next.

Addendum:

Of course, as a counter-storage you can also take a section of a pipe into which you press your tank end.

Optionally also 3D printing as a model for molding.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

finescalerr

I would like to see the results of a collaboration between you guys. -- Russ

Barney

Just Incredible - but so nice A joy to look at
Barney
Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson

greenie

Another two for the cupboard, this time it's a # 7 with a pole for two horses, then a # 9 which goes on the back of a Lorry or a light truck. Only got one to go now for the full compliment that was being sold by Furphy, as at 1942.

finescalerr

Modeling up to your usual adequate standards. -- Russ

Ray Dunakin

Ray Dunakin's World

greenie

Eventually finished the Furphy Water Carts as what was being sold by Furphy in 1942, I used an end cap that was in production from 1942 thru to 1965. This is the range they sold then and there was NO number 1 was being sold by 1942, it was a very earlier version of the cart.

The number 6 Water Cart was NOT drawn by a horse/horses, it was drawn by a tractor or a small truck, first one made went to the Royal Australian Air-force, for use in the convoys up to Darwin in the Second World War. It proved so successful, that it was then put into production and became available to anybody who wanted one.

Had to a drawing first and this time used Brass for the trailer and ally for the tank, end caps are just cast resin, the tyres and wheels I cheated and bought some 3D stuff, effin' expensive for what you get aint it, eh. Managed to add removable wheel nuts to. :-)

finescalerr

Most satisfactory. -- Russ

TRAINS1941

Beautiful work!!

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin