• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Fordson tugger hoist

Started by Chuck Doan, January 10, 2017, 09:04:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray Dunakin

Ditto the previous well-deserved comments of high praise! The realism of this piece is unsurpassed!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Greg Hile

Chuck Doan

Thanks!

Finally some bench time; I finished the trip drum brake band and spring hanger, and added a grease cup to the bearing.

The brake pad was made from .02 black styrene that was textured on the sides by rolling a file along the edge. Then it was heat formed in a circle shape by taping it to a socket and dipping it in hot water. Then painted with an asbestos-ey white color and glued on. The brake band is .01 styrene strip that was embossed with rivets. I printed the pattern on paper and taped it to the styrene, and then I pressed the rivets to depth using a shaped brass wire in my (non-spinning) drill press, using the depth stop to get consistent sizes. I 3D printed some linkage parts to the brake pedal rod, and installed it all with 1mm brass screws at each end of the brake band.

The spring hanger (that relives pressure when the brake pedal is released) was made from .03 x .09 brass strip that was bent to shape. The spring was made from annealed brass wire and held down with 1mm brass nuts and styrene washers.

The grease cup was printed, sanded and installed with yet another 1mm screw and nut in the base. Painted with oils and fine dirt.

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Ray Dunakin

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

Chuck, you're starting to get pretty good at modeling. -- Russ

Bill Gill

Barney

Hydrostat

Triple wow. And the known knitting statement.
The only giveaway is the tool marks at the golden shaft  ;D.
I think I start hating you  :D. The brake pad execution really is something!
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

TRAINS1941

True to the saying "All the little details."

Truly outstanding modeling.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

lab-dad

Good show!
Never have I seen the spring hanger in all the steam donkey research I've done.
Great little detail.

Marty

Design-HSB

Hello Chuck,

way too good that I think it's really just a model.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

Chuck Doan

Thanks very much for the nice words!

I added the drive sprockets and finally hid that ugly brass axle. I wrapped a section of the roller chain as a mask and then applied the oil paint. The polished areas are made using a pencil, and the oil paint and fine dirt grease mix is finished off (when dry) with touches of clear high gloss.

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Ray Dunakin

Ray Dunakin's World

Bill Gill

Boy that is just wonderful, Chuck!