• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Fordson tugger hoist

Started by Chuck Doan, January 10, 2017, 09:04:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck Doan

Thanks Franck!

Finished the builder's plate and mounted it. McLeod model RR nuts finished it off. These were made of cast steel, but I don't know if the letters were polished or not. So, I just painted it.

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

EZnKY

Looks fantastic Chuck!  The little details like the builder's plate really make a huge difference in the overall effect.
Eric Zabilka
Lexington, Kentucky

finescalerr

Bill Gill

Greg Hile

1-32

chuck i think you should give up your day job -nice

Gordon Ferguson

Fantastic work , as always , Chuck ........ Very inspiring for us mere mortals  ;D

Thanks for the info on grease and wear &  tear on the gears might well come in useful to me shortly
Gordon

TRAINS1941

Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Buster95

You are really one of the best modeler I've ever seen!!!

Jean

Chuck Doan

Thanks for the nice words!

I made some more progress this weekend. Dry fitting the haulback (trip) drum (pardon the drill bit). The 3/8" diameter (.024 actual) wire rope is 7 x 19 strand stainless from Mcmaster-Carr (the more strands, the more flexible it is). I wrapped 25 tedious feet around the core using super glue to hold it (excess easily removed with acetone). Hardest part was keeping it from kinking and away from the cat. The core is separate from the ends to facilitate handling and do-overs (already needed). I used a heavy wash of black oil paint to simulate well kept and oiled rope. Will make a nice contrast to the war weary look of everything else. The end fitting (closed spelter) was also 3D printed and buffed with Rub N Buff and oil warshed.

Much more to do, thankfully. I haven't enjoyed a model like this for a long time.

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

finescalerr

Bill Gill

Chuck, Sacré noir! The wire rope looks well oiled. Glad to read you are really enjoying this project, I'm really enjoying seeing it.

Gordon Ferguson

It is the subtly of your work which is the real joy to look at , that and the accuracy of your observation ..... The way the inside of winch drum is rusted being a great example . Lovely just lovely

p.s. Thank for info on the wire you used, managed to track down some 0.8mm dia stainless steel wire in the UK which should work for a 1/35 scale project

Gordon

EZnKY

Most excellent Chuck!  I echo Mr. Fergusson's comment on your observational skills.  This is the key ingredient in making the model believable!
Eric Zabilka
Lexington, Kentucky

TRAINS1941

All those little details. Your the master at making them look so real.
As always exceptional work.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin