• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

What I spent My Allowance On (New Stuff For The Bench)

Started by marc_reusser, February 26, 2010, 02:28:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff Ringle

A good thread going here...  neat stuff.

My new spray booth is getting a good workout.  Made by Artograph, it is 30" wide... just big enough for a 1:20 Mike.

I prefer Floqul paints, so venting to the outside is a must. 

In the end, the engine weathering project turned out nicely (I have yet to photo the end result).

The cost is easily justified as I have so many models that have been waiting for the airbrush treatment.  Just today I made big progress on one of my EBT steel boxcars.

Geoff

Scratchman

I had to restock my tubing from Plastruct (code TB) These are O.D. (1" -  1 1/8" -  1 1/4") 1/16" wall  (1 1/2" -  1 3/4" -  2") 3/32" wall  (2 1/4") 1/8" wall  (2 1/2" -  2 3/4" -  3") 5/64" wall. These go at 1/4" intervals up to 6" These ten pieces cost me a little over 100.00

Gordon Birrell

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77318580@N00/

danpickard

As an update to the "etchtank" purpose, and some of the reason why I bought it, here's a link to a flickr page of mine, showing some of the brass etches I've been doing.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dans-stuff/

There are 2 sets of pics there.  The "Building G41 in On30" set has some of the brass etch stuff midway through the collection.  The other set is for "Triple Creek", which is the progress of my home layout, which has been slow since I started to play with the brass (and also start thinking about the next layout!)

Cheers,
Dan

Gordon Ferguson

Quote from: marc_reusser on February 28, 2010, 02:23:45 AM

Ah the hinting game...I know it well...though for me if it works it generally just ends up as her saying "Why don't you order it...that way it will be the right thing" ::)

The lathe looks nice, is that the one from Micro-Mark? Good Luck with the hints!
MR

Our respective wife's obviously work to the same logic - I've just heard the same statement , word for word !

The lathe is from here http://www.amadeal.co.uk/acatalog/7_X_14.html, very similar to the Micro-Mark one which is not surprising as these mini-lathes all seem to be built in one of two factories in China ..... although I think the Micro Mart has an induction motor which is a more powerful beast.

A review of the version available in the US is here http://www.mini-lathe.com/Mini_lathe/Reviews/Big_dog/bigdog2.htm
Gordon

DaKra

Not a recent purchase, but one of my best tool buys in a long time has been magnetic tool holder strips.  Mount them on the wall, and steel tools stick to them.   Much better than a peg board or jars and drawers.

I bought mine at the local hardware store, but HFT carries them.

Dave

RoughboyModelworks

Excellent practice Dave... a place for everything and everything in its place... a man after my own heart. There's nothing more frustrating or time wasting at the workbench then to be rummaging around for the tool you need and can't find.

Paul

jacq01

A bit late, but eh ......What allowance, are you lucky guys getting an allowance for modeling  :o :o
   I have to earn my modeling money...... ::) ::)

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

finescalerr

I spend a hundred bucks on paper. Does that count? -- Russ

shropshire lad

Quote from: finescalerr on March 02, 2010, 01:06:53 AM
I spend a hundred bucks on paper. Does that count? -- Russ

And what do you do with that paper , Uncle Russell ?  Origami ?

Nick , off to look for a corner in his circular tower .

marc_reusser

Quote from: Scratchman on February 28, 2010, 04:35:43 PM
I had to restock my tubing from Plastruct (code TB) These are O.D. (1" -  1 1/8" -  1 1/4") 1/16" wall  (1 1/2" -  1 3/4" -  2") 3/32" wall  (2 1/4") 1/8" wall  (2 1/2" -  2 3/4" -  3") 5/64" wall. These go at 1/4" intervals up to 6" These ten pieces cost me a little over 100.00

Gordon Birrell

Thanks...very helpful. I did not know they came this large...particularly fond of the wall thickness of the larger dia ones ......I assume they were special order, as I have never seen them at the LHS.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Scratchman

I don't have much use for a lot of the Plastruct stuff but you can't beat this tubing. I sent this order by snail mail and had it back in six days. They are located in City Of  Industry Ca.

Gordon Birrell

marc_reusser

I need to sift some very fine dirt for a current build, so I ordered some wire mesh/fabric samples, which came in the mail today. I found them pretty darn cool. I have not tried removing the screens from their paper wrap, but by the looks of it, my actual sample pieces are from 1.75" to 2" wide and 2.75" to 3" tall. The really fine mesh looks almost like a silk fabric...but it's stainless! The wire size/dia is not relevant for what I need them for (but could be of great help for use on a scale model), as I was more concerened with the screen opening size. You can see by the text on the wrappers that the openings range from .0010" (.0254mm) to .0078" (.1981mm)...that is some freaky fine mesh.

I plan to make some small rectangular sieve boxes out of styrene, so I can use them to sift the dirt.

M

M-Works

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

marc_reusser

Ray,

I'm a bit reticent to post it online, as the finer material runs as much as $115 per sf.....and I don't want the company to be inundated by a couple hundred requests for samples (since they are only a distributor) from people that are only visitors or lurkers here, and then post the info elsewhwere for people that don't "really" need it, but order it just because. I'll send you the link/info in a PM.

Marc

M-Works

marc_reusser

Here is some other cool stuff that came in the mail today, courtesy of AK Interactive Products. These (except for the Engine Grime and Fuel Stains) are their newly released products:

There are two chipping solutions, a thicker and thinner (one for larger and one for smaller sized chips), a Pigment Fixer, Light Rust Pigment, Medium Rust Pigment, Light Dust Pigment, Africa Dust Pigment, Dark Steel Pigment, Black Pigment. I haven't had a chance to try them on a build yet, but simply looking at them, they are extremy finely ground, and very solid coloring (no visible dilution by addatives). The Dark steel is very cool, unlike most metalic pigments, it does not look metalic when in the container, it is so fine it looks matte dark grey...but it rubs on in a smooth opaque steel sheen finish. The light and medium rust colors are also very nice. All these new pigment colors integrate into and augment my pigment collection beautifully.

Just for fun/info...since were on the pigment subject....below is a pic comparing the container size of some of the various brands on the market (I am missing the Vallejo pigments). Left to right: AGAMA, MIG, AK, CMK, Bragdons, Dr. Bens.

Marc

M-Works