• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/35 Paper Structure Vignette

Started by marc_reusser, May 23, 2011, 04:39:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc_reusser

Have a few minutes away from work, while a rendering generates....

Working out the process for creating old weathered roofing-paper/roll-roofing. This is an adaptation/expansion of the old Nash & Greenberg technique, but using the current crop of oil-based washes. 1-ply of Kleenex (un-patterned over tlephone book page (newsprint paper will work also, but is quite a bit thicker...not so scale), random brush painted and dab applications of oil-based washes, random ...sprinkling of dirt, ...when dry dirt is brushed off, and material can be cut into roll width strips. (Note: I have found that the oil-washes do not laminate/bond the tissue ply to the sub-paper as well as the old Floquild paints, so I found it helpful/advantageous to give the dried pieces a light brush coat of Testors 'Dullcote' (and letting it dry), before cutting into strips.

Once applied to the roof it can be further weatherd with washes, pigments, etc.

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

marc_reusser

M-Works

finescalerr

Hmmm. Looks exactly like paper. Except, of course, for the bricks.

I have a nagging feeling that this little exercise will look rather nice at the end. Nick may decide chipboard bricks aren't so bad after all.

Russ

mad gerald

Quote from: marc_reusser on June 05, 2013, 12:00:04 AM
...and the requested macro. :)
... thanks ... even the (paper) surface structure looks convincing (like bricks) ...  :o ... my only nitpick could be (if it's not to blame on my aging eyes), that some cornerstones seem to have a tiny, almost invisible notch ... as they seem not having bent around the corner, but eventually constist of 2 pieces glued together?

Cheers

marc_reusser

The notch is where the top layer of paper has slightly lifted at the scribe/score location, when folded. Some areas it is also the shadow of the score line. Neither of these will/should not be visible in the final piece.

M-Works

mad gerald

Quote from: marc_reusser on June 05, 2013, 02:42:00 AM
...  Neither of these will/should not be visible in the final piece ...
... there has not been the slightest doubt ...  ;D

shropshire lad

Quote from: finescalerr link=topic=1468.msg41965#msg41965 date=137041895

Nick may decide chipboard bricks aren't so bad after all.

Russ
/quote]

Yes . That's what's worrying me .

I have to admit the wall is looking good . Curse you , Reusser .

SandiaPaul

Paul

marc_reusser

Thanks Paul.

Quick update snappie....trying to work out final scene composition...FAIL....but no time to change. KBO.

Brick coloring is not finished.....this is only the base wash color.

M-Works

lab-dad

That sure is an oddly shaped building.
What kind of archatect are you? ;)
The bricks look great. Cant wait to see them done!
Marty

marc_reusser

Thanks Marty.

Still tryin' to figger out them protractor thingies....and I done has lots of flags I need to store. :)

M-Works

Malachi Constant

It's quite interesting ... in a "where in the hell is he going with this?" sorta way ... guess we gotta stay tuned.  ??? -- Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

marc_reusser

Dallas...you know as much as I do.....dont get your hopes up. :)  It's really just a "wedgie" to try/demonstrate a variety of techniques. It will almost definitely become a dust-bin resident when done.

Marc

M-Works

danpickard

Marc,
Made these same comments over on FB, but...
Mmmm, not a fail just yet. The various wall angles are working well to make a small scene interesting (and you know all the good stuff happens in "the corner"). With so many little corners, it kind od lends itself to a number of micro scenes of the stuff that tends to collect in these places. And although I know you hate doing figures, a dejected character sitting on the door step seems appropriate for this little piece. I like the curve wall top, that changes things nicely.

Cheers,
Dan

marc_reusser

Thanks Dan for the comments.

Another quick phone snappie, after some more select/individual brick coloring, and the initial/basic grouting

Grout/mortar is a mix of premixed light-weight spackling compound, and Badger #16-11 "Concrete Grey" acrylic paint. The Mortar mix is applied and pushed into the joints using a small putty knife; excess is then removed with a dampened soft cotton rag. Before the mix ix completely dry, a stiff stencil brush is used to stab at joint areas to lightly remove and texture the grout. More texturing and color shading will come in subsequent steps.

Marc

M-Works