• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

The Google SketchUp Thread

Started by marc_reusser, May 15, 2010, 11:24:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc_reusser

Some more SU, and Maxwell experimenting. (A painted wooden garden chair design.)

M
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

finescalerr

Google Sketchup? Terrific!!! -- Russ

Fred H.

Anyone notice any changes since Google sold to Trimble?

Here's a rendering of the Forks Creek Depot:

Fred H.

Hey, Marc, or some other expert... Any suggestions as to how to export .skp files into a format that can be used to drive a laser cutter?

eTraxx

Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

marc_reusser

Quote from: Fred H. on January 27, 2013, 08:34:43 AM
Anyone notice any changes since Google sold to Trimble?

Not yet, though I am curious to see where Trimble goes with it. Am actually a bit worried that they won't support it or advance it as much as Google did after they bought it....or at least not insofar as the creative aspect.

...on the other hand, maybe they will make their LSPs and keyboard commands more intuitive  and in line with general CAD programs like ACAD or REVIT....which would be nice for me, as I switch back and forth a good bit.

M-Works

RichD

Has anyone played with the terrain and contours options that are buried in the sandbox tool set?

I am personally intrigued if I can find and download a contour file (with coutour lines at separation) and them apply the contour tool.  Would be an interesting wrinkle if someone was trying to replicate an exact location with reference to actual contours.

RichD

marc_reusser

Nothing special...but you've got to start somewhere. :)  Trying to evaluate and learn the basics of a new rendering program (KeyShot), so thought I would give it a quick test run on a old design for a model kit. (original drawn 2D in a AutoCAD, imported and modeled/extruded in SketchUp, and Rendered in KeyShot ["matte paint" color/material only, no textures applied] )

M-Works

Wesleybeks

Looks good Marc.

I find keyshot quite easy to use. Drew the small electric motor below in Rhino Cad then rendered it in Keyshot. Its not finished yet, but i like the results one gets.

Kind Regards
Wesley

Modelling in sunny South Africa

kathymillatt

Hiya All

How easy do you find it to model complex shapes in Sketchup?

I'm trying to do a brick depot. Nightmare.

The main problems I'm finding are the curved brick arches as Sketchup snaps to the axes. I've also struggled with closing bricks around these odd shapes so the faces leak. The mortar lines have finally sunk me. I'd drawn it all up 2D but can't get them to sink... So I'm having to start a large section again...  I must admit to being a tad annoyed after several weeks' evenings of work but I'm not going to be beaten!

I've only done one model before which I printed at Shapeways. That took me many attempts do I guess it is a learning curve.

Kathy

eTraxx

Kathy,
You mean like this?

Printed

Snapping to lines - that's usually from not grouping the individual sections. You should create the arch as a separate entity .. within a group/component so it only affects itself.
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

kathymillatt

Hi Ed

That's exactly what I mean. I do have the arches etc as separate components but when I insert them or, as I'm trying now, extend the window outline through the brickwork, they don't create solid shapes with each other. I've tried doing intersect faces and that creates a line but the line doesn't create a rectangle etc.

I'm lost as to what to do as when I try and delete out my window openings, the mortar lines on the whole front are all connected depite there being a solid line between the openings and the rest of the model.

Googling required!

Kathy

marc_reusser

No sure if I am fully understanding....but lets say you have drawn the wall, with the grout spacing, all the arched bricks, and the window opening in 2D, you should simply be able to create/make the grout as one whole surface...and the bricks as individual surfaces...then while doing this, the arched openings (openings to face of brick and grout line only...no window...should also become a surface. you should now be able to extrude the individual bricks forward...however much you want the grout to sink back....or more intuitively and faster...simply sink/push the grout back the desired depth (the latter is the far better way, but sometimes if a brick face or area did not register/isolate as a separate plane/piece, it will push back also. lastly, take the surface in the arched window opening, and push it back the thickness of the brick...or whatever depth you are after...then select the pushed back surface (surface only...no edges) and you should now have a proper depth window opening with all the bricks where needed.

Sorry, the only close/relevant images I have are these:

The brick surround, opening and hearth in these SU renders, were done in exactly the above manner.

M-Works

kathymillatt

Hi Marc

You're up early.

I've tried two methods, the first was to draw the window as a component with the brick arch header. I then put in flat 2D bricks around the windows and exploded the component so it would "join up". There is a brick width inset down to the window frame itself. I finally tried to drop the mortar lines back but they just won't drop back. Offset is limited to 0".

Attempt two is to push the mortar lines down first and then cut out the window openings...  I pulled up the front if the window so it pulled through the brick surface. I then did intersect faces. However, when I try to delete the window opening, it is still connected to the rest of the sunken mortar lines. I have tried drawing a box around but I cannot isolate the window openings to delete them from the rest of the mortar on the wall.

I am still a novice but have struggled with getting shapes to close so much with this that I wonder what I am doing wrong.

I'm using the free Sketchup.

Thanks for any help you can give. I'm at work now but will have another go tonight and post some pictures.

Regards

Kathy