• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/16 Diorama - Backyard Hospital Supply Railway (inspired by Lainz)

Started by mad gerald, October 02, 2013, 12:23:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc_reusser

Quote from: mad gerald on December 31, 2013, 02:48:30 AM

In the meantime I have to choose, if I carry on with the layout itself, the wagon, the rail tractor (or another loco? ::) ) ... or else ...

Cheers

You know me...I always suggest finishing what you have already started before moving on to something new. :)

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

finescalerr

Sage advice from a paragon of virtue. But I'm surprised Nick didn't chime in hours ago. Indeed, he has been ominously silent for weeks. -- Russ

Gordon Ferguson

Think he is busy laying concrete blocks , both model and full size ......... Makes a change from bricks I suppose :)
Gordon

mad gerald

G'day all,

less time x minor progress = only tiny update. I recently came across another card board mock up I built several months (or years) ago, which seems to fit here too. So I arranged the two card board mock ups to create a little backyard atmosphere ... Behind the annex with the green door there might be another higher hospital building, i. e. 2 stories high, the part with the roller shutter gate will be arranged in another position - or left out ...

Cheers

Barney

Nice stuff this and different -Ever thought of building an aeroplane in Paper its less complicated than building brick walls ! and you will not have "Nick the brick" moaning about the colour of the mortar if that's the name of the stuff between the bricks !
Barney

finescalerr

Barney, the stuff between the bricks is tartar and they get it from dentists' offices. It comes in a variety of festive summer colors.

Less seriously, I like the addition of the second building and the passage between them. It adds greatly to the overall character and composition of the scene, allows for a switch to suggest more railroad, and generally makes the scene appear more believable. If you have the space, I think it is a big improvement.

Russ

artizen

Barney - one for you. Building aircraft out of paper with working hatch doors etc.

http://io9.com/this-meticulously-crafted-777-replica-is-made-of-manila-1504096998

Makes me think there is something to doing stuff in paper after all!!!!
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding - an English Gentleman's Whimsy in 1:24 scale Gn15 (in progress)
On the Slate and Narrow - in 1:12 scale (coming soon)
Brisbane, Australia

peterh

Why not move the buildings with the green door and roller door frontwards a bit, so the tracks can go into the roller door opening. The tracks would emerge from the building a few centimeters behind, though several meters away in our minds. This would also give you some space to make a suggestion of a wall going back from the left side of the middle building.
Peter

Malachi Constant

-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

mad gerald

... thank for your feedback, guys ... and for encouragement to add both, annex with green door AND wall with roller shutter gate to the scene ...

No time for time consuming modelling regarding buildings or rolling stock, so I occasionally continued with unimportant accessories: The prototype of the white box I came across accidentally at the local high school ...  :o ... for printing I used an ink jet and fine white card board (160g), giving better edges when folded (as recommended by Hydrostat/Volker). Again I used small strips (3,1 mm) of real duct tape (clear) sealing the box.

While testing different printers and sorts of paper/card board I found out, that ink jets simply can't print tiny fonts < 1 mm proper - but laser printers can! So I cut a piece of brown packaging paper in shape for printing with a laser printer and laminated the print to a piece of thin card board. To get better/sharper edges while folding here too, I treated the folded area with the flat side of a kitchen knife.

Now I've got enough boxes to load the bulk head wagon ... 8) ... I guess you spot the difference between laser print (left) and ink jet print (right) on the following pic  ;) ...

Cheers

finescalerr

Oh. I thought my right eye needed a monocle. Very nice work on the cartons. -- Russ

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

marc_reusser

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Malachi Constant

Wow!  That first photo that Marc posted lends itself so well to diorama making ... you could slice it in any direction and have natural view-blocks where the buildings form the backdrop of the foreground scene ...
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Ray Dunakin

Quote from: Malachi Constant on January 29, 2014, 08:49:46 AM
Wow!  That first photo that Marc posted lends itself so well to diorama making ... you could slice it in any direction and have natural view-blocks where the buildings form the backdrop of the foreground scene ...

I agree, that is such a great scene!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World