• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Nohab CP 100 - An icon of portuguese railways

Started by nalmeida, May 23, 2013, 04:08:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nalmeida

After reading the thread about the "lurkers" I decided that despite not having the same quality of work to show I would update everyone on my modeling efforts.

This thread is about one of my favorite diesel rail-cars that were used in portuguese railways, they are Swedish built and were bought in 1948. From the twelve original we still have six that are not in use and we sold the other six to Argentina which are still in use on regular routes.

This rail-car is 21 meters long that translates into 25 cm in H0, here is a picture of the prototype in the Alentejo plains:

As in previous projects my choice in materials is styrene, easy of use is the main advantage. I went with a modular approach for the build since I have a very small cnc. So the rail-car is built with five modules, two fronts, one first class, one second class and the ceiling/top:

The roundness of the tops is one of the most difficult parts to build:

And here is a side picture of the subject:

I went for a resin top because this way I can make as many as I want, this one is still unfinished:

Slightly different view:

There is already some more progress like windows, motorization etc.. but I'll show it in the next update.

marc_reusser

I find this a very cool prototype/subject matter...especially the coloring and wear of the one in your image.
I am glad you posted this here, I have always admired your willingness and interest in tackeling scratchbuilding unique subjects...especially at this scale. I enjoy watching your fabrication process and thinking.....even if you feel it is not up to par, I personally have still learned, and been given reason to think, when doing my own work.

Look forward to more.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Chuck Doan

I've always enjoyed seeing your work Nelson! Those are complex shapes to model; I wouldn't even know where to start.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Malachi Constant

Quote from: Chuck Doan on May 23, 2013, 06:57:13 AM
Those are complex shapes to model ....

They certainly are!  And your model is looking great ... keep posting as you progress!  -- Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Ray Dunakin

Very nice work, especially the front end which looks pretty complex.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

Thanks for posting. It's coming along nicely already but I think it will look much better soon. -- Russ