• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

The New Trumpers Mill in 1/135th

Started by Barney, February 03, 2015, 02:07:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finescalerr

Beautiful work.

Now -- and this is for everyone -- yet another plea about posting photos: PLEASE DO NOT LINK PHOTOS FROM FOTKI OR ANY OTHER WEBSITE. Why? They disappear. If you post them directly to THIS site it will retain them. Broken photo links have made a majority of older threads virtually useless. Go back and see for yourself.

This has become enough of an annoyance and an ongoing problem that I am thinking about deleting all linked photos. I would like your input on this rather drastic step, of course. The only reason for it would be to force you to do something you should have done in the first place. And the reason it is important is that the material on this website is timeless so even the oldest material still should be visible ... but it isn't. We are not lazy about how we build models so why should be be lazy about how we share them?

Comments?

Russ

Ray Dunakin

All my photos are on my own website, so they aren't going anywhere.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Hydrostat

Quote from: finescalerr on April 25, 2015, 02:26:16 PM
Beautiful work.

Ditto.

Quote from: finescalerr on April 25, 2015, 02:26:16 PM
Now -- and this is for everyone -- yet another plea about posting photos: PLEASE DO NOT LINK PHOTOS FROM FOTKI OR ANY OTHER WEBSITE. Why? They disappear. If you post them directly to THIS site it will retain them. Broken photo links have made a majority of older threads virtually useless. Go back and see for yourself.

This has become enough of an annoyance and an ongoing problem that I am thinking about deleting all linked photos. I would like your input on this rather drastic step, of course. The only reason for it would be to force you to do something you should have done in the first place. And the reason it is important is that the material on this website is timeless so even the oldest material still should be visible ... but it isn't. We are not lazy about how we build models so why should be be lazy about how we share them?

Comments?

Russ

Russ,

first - could you maybe start a new thread in the blue note room for that and uncouple the postings not relating to Barney's modelling?

Second - there'll be a lot of work to reload all the pics to your site. My pictures are hosted by buntbahn where they may stay until this site goes ...

Third - yes, you're right. It's completely useless to read posts without the images belonging to them.

Fourth - Deleting all linked photos means to destroy even more threads. Maybe you can block it for future postings?

Fifth - if you or the authors should be willing to "relink" older threads to your site in my eyes there would sometimes be a big improvement adding new titles to provide better search results. Imagine some kind of a modelling encyclopedia. It's a pity, too, that one cannot search for all/other projects one modeler has created for example. As long as I didn't miss anything.

Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

finescalerr

Clarification: I don't want to go back and remove all past linked photos. That would be self-defeating. I just want you guys to upload all future photos to this site and thought that, if a photo is linked in the future, and I zap it, then maybe my repeated pleas would have teeth and you would upload it properly.

I also see no reason to re-post past images ... but I certainly wouldn't object if you did ... especially the missing ones!

It's just that I have asked repeatedly to stop linking images because of the loss of so many. If somebody can truly guarantee a linked image will outlast this forum, then go ahead and link. Past experience suggests such guarantees are as meaningless as my promising this site will be alive and well in 2070.

I'm not trying to be a meanie. Really. I just want to ensure our forum actually provides assistance to all of us and to non-members who may use it as a source of education.

Russ

Barney

So can somebody please tell me how can I send suitable sized photos  from my APPLE set up in plain simple English with out going through a company like FOTKI
see my last post on General forums
Barney
who can not  recognise A JPEG from a CLOTHES PEG

lab-dad

To bad there isnt a medium where words and pictures can be placed on it and then covered in a harder more durable material.
Then in 100 years all one has to do is take this "thing" off a shelf and be able to read and look at the images.................

Barney

Thanks Bill I will give it a go
Barney
Please see my personal email / message

Barney

Martin - Thanks for that one and I agree but its just made my Headache worse !!!!!!!
Barney

Barney

Some progress but slow -floor boards down nail holes next and the start of the log carriage 

NE Brownstone

My issue are the filters at work.  I can see fotki and photo-bucket pics at home, but if I come here during the day I see blanks.  Really no issue from the office.  It's the IT guys who set it up.  Yes to uploading to here.  Although, I have to admit that I think some of my pics were linked from my site. 
Russ
The other, other Russ

finescalerr

Then be sure to maintain your site! -- Russ

Barney

Trumpers Mill is now closed and forgotten -saved at sunset by a fellow modeller from the fate of the big bin (a skip)
So Mr Russ park Trumpers mill up some were in the forgotten gallery !
Barney
on a downer

Ray Dunakin

Bummer. You were doing good work on it.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Barney

Ray its gone to happier places and its in good hands - but I had just about come to the end of my road with it - now started on bigger things in bigger scales - but its all hands on the deck first to finish the TITAN TRACTOR for the EURO Show in September so watch this space
Barney
coming out of depression with a small smile on my face !

LesTindall

Come on Barney, lets see that BIG 16mm scale smile of you face (aka your new big project)
Les