• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Fordson tugger hoist

Started by Chuck Doan, January 10, 2017, 09:04:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1-32

Ray.
great what a paint job I have never seen it before.
cheers

WP Rayner

That's outstanding Ray  :o :o  I've never seen styrene weathered so convincingly.
Paul

Stay low, keep quiet, keep it simple, don't expect too much, enjoy what you have.

Chuck Doan

I added a board for the operator to use when cranking the tractor. More Prisma pencil graining.

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Hydrostat

Chuck,

how did you make this tiny pine cone?

Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

Hauk

Quote from: Hydrostat on March 02, 2021, 10:56:52 PM
Chuck,

how did you make this tiny pine cone?

Volker

I havent noticed the cone until now.
What a great detail!

Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

TRAINS1941

Nice!  The pine cone is a added touch.  I hope you show the tree it came from?  ;)

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

WP Rayner

Holy crap... :o :o Now the daVinci of modellers is making scale pine cones!

Just astonishing work as always Chuck. You never fail to inspire.
Paul

Stay low, keep quiet, keep it simple, don't expect too much, enjoy what you have.

Chuck Doan

The pine cone is the result of a 25 year project to grow a scale pine tree specifically for this project. Oh, wait it's March 1st, not April.

They are from a neighbors' tree. Probably stunted from years of smog, I don't know. But free for the taking.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

Hydrostat

I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

Barney

IT just gets better - I need a lay down
Barney
Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson

shropshire lad

Quote from: Chuck Doan on March 03, 2021, 09:20:39 AM
The pine cone is the result of a 25 year project to grow a scale pine tree specifically for this project. Oh, wait it's March 1st, not April.

They are from a neighbors' tree. Probably stunted from years of smog, I don't know. But free for the taking.

Looks like there is a marketing opportunity for you , Chuck . Scale bonsai pine cones . $10.00 a bag .

Bernhard

It's really details like this that bring a model to life. Outstanding!

Bernhard

Bill Gill

Dang, Chuck. I'd hoped you'd carved the pinecone, following the correct fibonacci sequence for the clockwise and counter clockwise spiraling sequences for that particular specie's cone scales...

Chuck Doan

I made an operators seat for the tugger hoist. It's a close copy of one on the donkey at the McLean mill in British Columbia.

The seat is from the Danbury mint die-cast Fordson, but it was sanded down to be thinner on the bottom side. It is made of a brittle translucent plastic. Painted black and buffed with pencil lead.

The seat post was heat formed from styrene strip. I made a former from thin brass. I clamped the strip with alligator clips and dunked it in near boiling water, and made close-to shape bends around the former. Then I clamped it tight and dunked it again.

The strip matches the former perfectly with no springback.

finescalerr

Why didn't you just use the strip of brass for the seat post? The model looks absolutely stunning at this point, by the way. -- Russ