• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Fordson tugger hoist

Started by Chuck Doan, January 10, 2017, 09:04:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck Doan

I agree with Nick, Gordon does excellent work, both fabrication and painting. I also agree that if I did a figure it would be awful. Fortunately I have no interest in painting figures (although there were two on my Red Oak diorama) (and they weren't very good).

Actually there have been some new things on this project, like using an airbrush for virtually everything, making some complex 3D models and using oil and Prisma paints for the first time. But yes, mostly I like a project that is enjoyable to work on with minimal head banging. I get enough of that from Real Life. Maybe after I retire I will try more challenging models. Or I may just stay in my comfortable jammies and have fun! 

And yes, please fix that hole in your suit Nick!

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Ray Dunakin

Marvelous work, Chuck! Each piece of wood a perfect model in itself.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Chuck Doan

Heavily inspired by your desert shack wall Ray!
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

finescalerr

I'm glad Chuck mentioned that. My final Modelers' Annual has an article about a shack Ray built from styrene. But it looks just like weathered wood because Ray painted and shaped each plank to duplicate its full size counterpart on the wall of an actual shack. The two photos are side by side a page and the similarity is remarkable.

If anybody wants, I can post the photos here.

Russ

Ray Dunakin

Ray Dunakin's World

1-32

Hi Chuck.
Man is this your pre-retirement efforts, I cant wait to see the real deal.
cheers.

Chuck Doan

Please do post those pictures Russ.

finescalerr

Here is the comparison. Ray's wall is 100% painted styrene. Click on the image to enlarge it. -- Russ

Chuck Doan

TRAINS1941

I'm surprised you can remember back that far Unc!!!

I'll wait until till December to bring up one of your famous quotes!!

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Hauk

Quote from: finescalerr on February 10, 2021, 12:02:49 PM
Here is the comparison. Ray's wall is 100% painted styrene. Click on the image to enlarge it. -- Russ

That might be the finest example of painted and weathered styrene in the entire history of scale modelling. I mean that in a literal sense.
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

finescalerr

Hydrostat

Quote from: Hauk on February 11, 2021, 12:27:47 AM
Quote from: finescalerr on February 10, 2021, 12:02:49 PM

That might be the finest example of painted and weathered styrene in the entire history of scale modelling. I mean that in a literal sense.

Yep.
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

Bill Gill

I bought that issue because of that shack!

Ray Dunakin

Thanks, everyone! Now I remember why I never finished the rest of the building... it's the one thing I've done that I felt was too good to put outside.

Ray Dunakin's World