• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Layout on dozer diorama

Started by johngeigle, January 07, 2014, 07:51:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johngeigle

I have started laying out the bit to see where they look best, any suggestions are appreciated. I am thinking of a tank in front of the blade too

finescalerr

As you currently have placed the clutter, I'm a little confused. I don't understand the reason for the group of tree trunks and they seem uncomfortably close to the dozer, too close to the edge, and too close to the tracks. If the dozer blade were ripping a big trunk out of the ground it would make more sense to me

But then the tracks would be superfluous. (I assume the dozer is about to destroy the right-of-way.) But if the tracks are about to disappear, wouldn't the scrappers already have removed the rails?

Nor do I understand the reason the rusting hardware is propped up against the dozer, or why the cans are so close. If the dozer is abandoned, it seems an odd place to leave it.

For composition, what if the rear of the dozer were where the tree trunks are and its position were at about 45-degrees to the track? Your eye would then follow a natural line from upper left to lower right.

I could elaborate but I guess it boils down to two things: 1.) The scene does not tell a clear story. 2.) It contains too many elements; less is more.

Considering all the above, I must somehow be missing the concept behind the diorama and, if so, I apologize for wasting space.

Russ

johngeigle

Russ,
I'm just putting stuff to see how it looks. I agree the tree trunks are a bit much. those will go away.
Originally I was going to have kids playing on it that may still happen. The dozer is a derelict so their is
really no story without having the kids playing on it. Right now I'm just playing with ideas. I have a oil
tank that is painted the same as the corrugated metal  but that may take up too much space. I agree less is more.
Thanks for your input.
John

johngeigle

I think once I add the vegetation and cobwebs you will be able to better tell the dozer is a derelict