• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Jacq's Logging Project Discussion

Started by marc_reusser, February 27, 2008, 05:07:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc_reusser

Quote from: Terry Harper on October 16, 2012, 04:49:29 PM
Hmmm...Looks like Maine is becoming the West Coast - First we have log flumes now we just had a 4.6 earth quake!

Here is a LOG SLIDE as opposed to a log flume. They use to grease the slide to help the logs get the best out of gravity. As you can see by the size of the logs this
was on the West Coast.

Terry,

Neat pic, but this is not really a slide. This is a skid-way...and it appears to be either ina  Nor Cal or Sierras , Redwood operation. The ligs on this never truly slid of their own power, but rther were winched along via the use of a donkey or roading donkey/engine. If you look close, there is what appears to be one at the top of the hill where the skid-way dissapears in the distance. You cn also see what appears to be a haulback line to the right of the skidway.  (looking at it on my phone, so a bit less than perfect to see the detail :)  )
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Terry Harper

Thank you Russ....I stand corrected. zooming in on the photo I can see the boilers to two Donkey engines.

Remember here in Maine the technology was just a bit diffrent   ;D

BKLN

Now this is steampunk's wet dream!

artizen

Burning Man Festival 1905?

Wonder why this idea never caught on?
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding - an English Gentleman's Whimsy in 1:24 scale Gn15 (in progress)
On the Slate and Narrow - in 1:12 scale (coming soon)
Brisbane, Australia

Terry Harper

It did catch on. Lombard was the first succesful tracked machine  (Nov. 1900) to enter production - pre-dating Holt (later to become Catapiller) by several years.  In 1918 Lombard switched to gasoline powered models. They built thier last machine - a diesel in 1936.

Here is Lombards prototype gasoline powered tractor (April 1909)

The engine is a monster 4 cylinder (9"x10) 2545 cubic inches. built in New York by Brennen. Not the barrel and cast iron house radiators.

Ray Dunakin

Cool! I didn't know anyone had ever restored one to operating condition!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Terry Harper

granitechops

Quote from: finescalerr on October 16, 2012, 01:11:19 PM
Personally, I really enjoyed reading Marc's rant. He has offered far too few of late. Reminds me of the old days when he was in his prime. Besides, I always agree with him because he saves his rants for egregious transgressions.

I'm glad the convention went well and that, impossible flumes and stone logging cabins aside, Our Mighty Contingent came away with some inspiration.

Russ

Personally I think you are all being unfair, if he had not modelled an ""IMPRESSIONIST""   :D ;D  version of a log whatsit   :'( ,  & the pics viewed worldwide, Marc would not have come out spitting feathers, & I would have not learnt so much about the subject, which although is pure logic if you think about it, did not at all, all occur to me on first sight of the 2 photos!!!  

EDIT, Just remembered an entry on local Freecycle at the weekend  "" offered Wrought Iron bath""   Pity the poor blacksmith!! ::)
Don in sunny Devon, England

jacq01

During the show in the Sensenhammer in Leverkusen Ali, one of the crew of the Selkuck layout, repaired my Bachmann shay driveline.
It lasted during the Adliswil an Roermond shows.
It looks like the Bachmann shay and the climax reached the maximum running time and milage as the drivelines of both machines failed completely.
For the shay I have now 2 replacement bogies with the latest gears, so repair will not be hard.
The climax is another story as the cardan joint on the spline of gearbox axle has split. This means a new gearbox output shaft with new cardan joints and connecting axles to the bogies.  This gearbox axle is not appearing in the spare parts list from Bachmann. Anyone can help ?
It wil be nice to have the loco's running again during the next shows next year in Febr. March and May.

Life is picking up again and interest in modelling is returning with some nice joint ventures in 1:35 with Marcel, Nick, Alan and more under investigation. More info later.

Shortly I will start with a similar topic like the logging project, covering the building of the "Erftmühle" painting in 1:35.  

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

danpickard

Hi Jacq,
Bachmann have seemed to have been fairly good at replacing parts not actually listed on their spares pages.  I had similar shaft issues with my Climax (parts not listed) but they were able to post the replacements out anyway.  Check against the parts reference diagrams  http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/references_2010.php  to get the part number you need (or include a photo in your email to them).  They would likely get back to you with a parts cost.  Although, some of the parts can be a bit expensive, and if it turns out you might need several parts, it might be just as cost effective to pick up a new Climax online, and have a whole heap of spares to play with.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Dan

lab-dad

Looking forward to seeing more of your projects!
Marty

shropshire lad

Quote from: lab-dad on November 14, 2012, 02:10:44 PM
Looking forward to seeing mire of your projects!
Marty

" Mire" ?  It won't be that bad !

Alan Rees

Cheers from me & Jacq !!  We've just finished building "the Mill" for the exhibition tomorrow here in Lahnstein. Don't tell Nick, but we managed it record time without interference from Shropshire. Now to relax early with some Bitburger Pils - only 1 Euro per glass !

Hope you are all coming over to see it !

shropshire lad

Quote from: Alan Rees on February 15, 2013, 08:15:46 AM
Cheers from me & Jacq !!  We've just finished building "the Mill" for the exhibition tomorrow here in Lahnstein. Don't tell Nick, but we managed it record time without interference from Shropshire. Now to relax early with some Bitburger Pils - only 1 Euro per glass !

Hope you are all coming over to see it !

That's fine by me . Next time I'll just sit back and watch you get on with it whilst drinking your beer .