• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Eastern white pines

Started by Bill Gill, April 27, 2022, 02:23:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Gill

Some years back I made several generic conifers for the HO scale C&VRR (first photo). Their height needed to be shortened quite a bit to help preserve the illusion that the cliff behind them was taller than it is.

At the time I thought those were pretty good, but recently I decided to experiment making eastern white pines. They are not an taller than the original conifers about 7.5 in/~ 19 cm), but I'm saying that's because they are second or third growth(second photo).
I tried quite a few different ideas, materials and techniques. the trees are not yet planted on the layout, and were photographed outside.

finescalerr

Nice job on the trees, Bill ... and on the very accurate rust color on the rails. -- Russ

Bill Gill

Thanks, Russ. It was an interesting project, trying out a lot of stuff on hand that didn't work at all and then find stuff that did look ok. I had previously tried the wire wrapping/twisting technique for making trees, but didn't like the results I got. I wish my hill was taller so the trees could be too. if I made them closer to scale size they'd overtop the cliff behind them. These could be OK background trees on a bigger layout.

Bill Gill

At the risk of being a bit redundant, here's another shot of the trees taken today in better light. (Click to enlarge)

Ray Dunakin

I like the way they look in that last shot.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

That second photo shows the importance of a proper background. -- Russ

Bill Gill

Russ, Those Eastern trees have impickable backgrounds!!! (Except for that little twisted one that's always needling the others.)
They all graduated with laurels from Wake Forest University and branched out into agricultural pursuits, developing the first successful continental gluten free, high priced pineapples. (Click for full size and flavor).

finescalerr

A modest suggestion, young William: Go stand in the corner. -- Russ