• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Another Fordson project in 1/16th scale

Started by Chuck Doan, September 21, 2021, 08:17:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck Doan

I thought I might revive the tractor locomotive I started a few years ago. But for that project I need a Fordson "N" version, which has quite a few differences from the older "F" model I did before. I did not want to try to modify another Danbury die cast; I wanted to do the whole thing this time. So, I have been chipping away at producing the CAD parts that I will get printed at a later time.

Many of these parts have been quite challenging for me. The machine parts I usually design are simpler than the castings from this tractor. I have been watching some online tutorials to learn how to make the more complex shapes required. It is hard to imagine how the Ford designers did it all on drafting boards, almost a hundred years ago.

So, we shall see. The only reason I would do one more of these is because there are a lot of differences from the previous ones, plus I don't have to paint it grey! And even if I don't finish it, it's been fun stretching my CAD legs.

I am using Solidworks for this.

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

Creating such a drawing must be almost as satisfying as creating the model itself. At least it has been for me. -- Russ

WP Rayner

As something of a CAD junkie myself, those are nicely done Chuck. Older, traditional media technical drawings have always been a source of fascination and inspiration, at least for me, but what is really impressive are the traditional skills of the die and pattern makers.
Paul

Stay low, keep quiet, keep it simple, don't expect too much, enjoy what you have.

Bill Gill

Chuck, Even when you're in learning mode you're still way ahead of the pack.

Bernd

Chuck,

Excellent 3D drawings. Way ahead of my small knowledge of 3D modeling. I'll be following along.

One question I have that a lot of modelers never mention is where they got their dimensions from. Do you have drawings of the individual parts. I guess what I'm asking how did you know the dimensions of each part?

Bernd
New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy. - Route of the Black Diamonds

TRAINS1941

The "Master" takes on another challenge!!

Beautiful work Chuck.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Peter_T1958

Quote from: Bernd on September 22, 2021, 05:10:47 AMExcellent 3D drawings. Way ahead of my small knowledge of 3D modeling.

But I am very grateful when Chuck writes about his learning by numerous tutorials too. I have taken a quick search relating Solidworks tutorials. Very interesting!
Unfortunately I always have to peer to tutorials for other CAD software, as there is about nill to my CorelCad.

Cheers, Peter
P.S. Perhaps you or someone else has a hint/link for CorelCad users?

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" -Leonardo Da Vinci-

https://industrial-heritage-in-scale.blogspot.ch/

fspg2

Wonderful, I love such constructions!
I'm curious how it goes from here.

Frithjof
Frithjof

Barney

Mind - blowing stuff this is Chuck - just keep it coming
Barney
Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson

Chuck Doan

Thanks for the nice words! Russ, I find it satisfying too, the hardest part is containing my OCD and realizing that "good enough" is sometimes good enough. Thanks Paul your own CAD work is the gold standard. Sorry Peter, I only know a bit about Solidworks.

Bernd, I started with a nice dimensioned drawing I found in a Facebook Fordson group. I already knew the wheelbase was 63", so I printed the drawing and measured the wheelbase and divided by 63. That gave me the (closely approx.) dimension to scale the drawing. I also brought the drawing into Solidworks, scaled it to 1/16th size and overlaid my CAD model to see if I was in the ballpark. I also did the same thing with a nice side view photo. For the parts without dimensions, I just guessed using photos to size them the best I can. Ebay and similar sites are a great way to find separate parts, often with a lot of photo angles, and sometimes dimensions. I also found several restoration videos on Youtube, where intimate views of normally hard to see details can be found (hubba!).

Without factory blueprints or an actual tractor I know it won't be perfect, but it's Pretty Darn Close (AKA good enough).

From Allan Condie on the Fordson Tractors 1917-52 group on Facebook. A VERY knowledgeable fellow.

The overlay drawing with some actual size dimensions added for reference. The CAD model is the cheesy yellow thing.

Photo overlay to compare with my CAD model, while making the engine block.

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

Bernd

Chuck,

Thanks for taking the time to explain how you did that. Still quite baffling to me, but you've put some light on it for me to understand how it's done.

Bernd
New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy. - Route of the Black Diamonds

Craig

Glorious beginnings.

I may be new to the forum, but I'm certainly no stranger to your work, Chuck.

Excited to finally have a front row seat on a new build of yours though. I'm here for the long haul, too.

Rich Wolfanger

Chuck,

I stop by from time to time to see what's up here. I'm happy to see you start any new project.
Although this work is mind baffling to me, I'm sure you have the ability to keep thses fellows motivated.
Everything you touch turns to gold.

Rich

Chuck Doan

Slow progress. Was hoping I could just do minor alterations to the 3D models I made for the tugger hoist tractor. But there are more differences than I realized.