• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

The Keystone Skimmer in 1/35th scale

Started by Barney, September 24, 2016, 12:37:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barney

New chassis built (mistakes in measurements on first attempted ) winding drums and gear drive/flywheel completed - considering the Keystone skimmer was the JCB of the time not much information available but I think I have sorted the workings out plus a minor headache !!
Barney

finescalerr

I doubt I'm the only one looking forward to seeing your progress. -- Russ

Ray Dunakin

Fascinating!

What is the large gear made of?

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Barney

Ray - The large gear is from an assortment of gears I sent for from Japan found them on EBAY 100 + assorted gears /cogs and pinions for £4:00 +£2:00 postage
I think they are mainly for the RC car bods some had Tamiya on them - the red one I used was on fine spokes with a large centre which I removed and glued it to a Grandt Line mining pulley (part no 3511) to create a fly-wheel / driver cog
Barney

LesTindall

hat "red one" (the gear teeth) looks looks just the item I need, excuse me being pedantic but what is the diameter?

Les

Barney

Les - The red gear I have used is 35mm dia' this works out at 4ft in 1/35th scale
All measurements were taken off Photos using a grid system of 4 examples of a Keystone skimmer and Keystone drilling machines the cog drive gear was between 3ft 6in to 5ft so I went for the middle some have an extra bit of weight in them I presume to give it a flywheel effect all had different castings patterns on the spokes and centre fixings
Barney

Barney

Ray - I forgot to say the gears are plastic normal styrene glue works well all the others appear to be nylon
bottom left shows one with the centre and the spokes removed - there was even a few brass ones in the assortment a bargain I thought !

Barney

And out of the box - laid up due to not much info' on the little beast -but this little beast appears to be getting bigger ! after more info' and research have learnt a lot - I like to know how these things work it helps me in the construction - the hoist and drums have all been rebuilt - the large wheels are Grandt Line Head frame sheaves (3511) 35mm dia' works out at 48in in 1/35th - these wheels where available (the real thing) in 60in/48in/36in so my luck was in ! all parts at the moment are trial fit and the main shaft will be thicker - the planet gears just visible are nylon clock gears - the drum gears live deep inside the drums - drum cables are loose at the moment the whole assemble is a bit wider than my original versions so a new chassis is next on the list
Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson

Barney

drum assembly
Stuart McPherson

Barney

other side with drive cog
Stuart McPherson

Ray Dunakin

Looks good! Nice to see this project getting some attention again.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

This model may require a little work to complete. The drum assembly seems only the beginning. -- Russ

Mr Potato Head

Hey Barney
I sent you a care package of Keystone pictures, I took over 20 years ago when a bunch of TNGS members went to the Orange Empire open house in Perris, Ca. Its an electric model, pre Tesla. you know a long extension cord. I call it the "Monster" I want to build her one day, she's everything you want in a zero emission skimmer.
Gil
in exile
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

Barney

At last the complete drum and drive bits are "firmly" in place in the new chassis / frame - I say firmly because they where a right pain to fix in there positions so many bits wobbling about
the drums are the third edition ! just did not look right but conquered it in the end
Barney

Stuart McPherson

Barney

Stuart McPherson