• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Some old and new stuff from a new member.

Started by Alexandre, December 09, 2012, 07:00:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alexandre

Hi!

Thank you guys.
:)

I've got very interesting points about mud and grass blades by Marc on FB. Once it has been scanned by his eyes, it appears obvious : too much uniformity in the grass, in color, shape and length.
Now I have to rework this, that means more variety and different materials.
But from now I don't have time for this one, and spent some hours on the robot.

Same process than for the other part. A basic used whitewashed done with AK worn effect and Tamiya White, airbrushed, and thinned with the regular acrylic thinner.
Then after some enamel based filters, I've contrasted some areas by using a 00 brush and sponge, to realize pure white chips.
Third step for the white color, some streaks and discoloration using Windsor & Newton white oil paint.

Chipping (with sponge and brush) and some pin washes later, we're here :

Alexandre

Hello gentlemen!  :)

A really quick update on groundwork as I'm quite late with the deadline.
This is a iPhone test-picture for the robot (seen a post above).
Bic lighters come in 2 size in France (maybe everywhere else too) and this is the small one. Scale is 1/20.

Grass : made from olvillas del mar (sea eggs) and stained with enamels washes.
Moss : unknown brand / label-less pack bought in a model show to years ago. This is synthetic moss similar to many RR greenish powders. It's glued with white glue and stained with AKinteractive slime green and dark slime green. (enamel based washes)

Dead leaves and forest scatter is a home-made mix. Different real leaves ground in very small particles and mixed with some grass and roots and junk.

As a side note : In my opinion, nothing worse than the "in-scale" paper leaves one can buy in some brands (most used are plus models ones). They are really expensive, almost always out of scale, look all the same and way too stiff to be convincing. Rotten leaves take various shades and the roting process make them look all different. Some brown, some black or red, some folded etc...
I've tried many of these in scale, PE or paper punch and die leaves set, and the best result I had is with real world leaves.
Talking about resolution or detail definition, I'm most of the time happier with a "global" convincing look than with a junk of details put side by side.
Just like Impressionism in fine art, I find the global feeling of colors, texture and detail more convincing and realistic than super-detailed stuff alone in the scene.
Don't know if that makes so much sense as my english isn't at its best today.   :-\

Anyway, picture :

PS : bricks are from Diorama Debris, the rusted spring is metal, painted with AK rust set acrylics, while the rusted circle piece is evergreen styrene painted with AK rust set.

marc_reusser

Well as you know, I think this is just beautiful. Great coloring, attention and type of detail, and placement. 

I completely agree with you on the manufactured leaves....one or two in a scene if done right, and mixed with natural "leaves" and litter is can bee good...but most often they are way overused and poorly done.

Thanks for posting the SBS/resources.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Gordon Ferguson

That is impressive , just a lovely little vignette which could easily stand on its own without any additions
Gordon

Ray Dunakin

Looks great, but that oversized Bic lighter could use some weathering.   ;)

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Alexandre

Thank you very much guys! :)
Still experimenting on this base and with the phone camera that doesn't give all the colors rendering and focus needed.
I'm sunk in the mud for 3 days. And still a lot to do in contrasts and tonal variations.
But nothing too bad, as I'm lucky enough to have found a coin while walking in the forest.  :D ;D

marc_reusser

Very nice coloring. Really like your leaf litter. I think I also have a bag of that nice brown/tan grass product...I quite like it.

So, I am assuming this will be published in two parts; Mud in the next/coming issue, and Vegetation in the following one? (If not it definitely should be, and you might want to drop Rick a note.  :) )

Marc

M-Works

Alexandre

Thank you Marc!

Another one is planned for the vegetation issue. Pripyat-style. (And the pictures you sent me last time will prove very useful)

marc_reusser

Ah, a Pripyat piece.....very cool. So glad to see you getting back on one. Really look forward to that.

M-Works

Gordon Ferguson

"Pripyat" !

Now I have some idea how Marc feels ;)

Got one from there on the go myself
Gordon

Chuck Doan

That is some nice mud and grass Alexandre! The leaves are great too.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

finescalerr

Add my positive comments to the above. -- Russ

marc_reusser

M-Works

Alexandre

Thank you very much Marc, Gordon, Russ and Chuck!

Here's a better picture with a real camera.
That's still in progress but I feel I'm close to en happy end with this one.

Have a great day!  :)

marc_reusser

Oh, stop already!...you're just stressing me out. ;) ;D ;D

M-Works