• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1914 Leyland mobile workshop

Started by Barney, October 26, 2011, 01:11:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc_reusser

Lovely. Lokk forward to seeing the transformation by the paint.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Junior

That engine turned out great and I agree can´t wait to see some paint.....!

Anders

curb

This is very interesting, Gordon.  Do you have a photo of what the finished model will look like ???

Barney

Curb – Photos of the prototype of this vehicle are rare I only know of one poor quality photo of the larger workshop body fitted to a Crossely truck chassis – there is a photo available on the net of a workshop body at the Imperial War Museum- this being purpose built body for the War Department- the only information I have on my project is that the original truck built in 1914 for the Waring & Gillow furniture company and was a wooden body fitted to a longer chassis( possibly a modified coach chassis ) in 1916 it was commissioned by the War Department under the war subsidy act – the body work was modified and refitted as a workshop following plans laid down by the War Department - examples can be found from the Gloucester Carriage Company a company known for its narrow gauge railway
workshops- an excellent article can be found in Narrow Gauge & Industrial Review magazine on these workshops the transmission was also modified so a power take off could be fitted to drive a generator for the workshop equipment possibly supplied by Tilling Stevens who were a company well advanced at the time in Petrol/electric vehicles and generators.
Research into these types of vehicles can be confusing especially when a civilian vehicle has been modified for W D use they were all different and options in wheels/transmissions/engines/bodywork were subsequently used it was a matter of what was available at the time- enclosed a few photos of types of body work fitted to these vehicles.
Just a thought who's Gordon I'm Barney  !!
Barney

Barney

Progress on the engine -top coat on  - next a bit of grease and gunge
Barney

shropshire lad

Yes, who is this Gordon fella ? Is he any good ? We want to know .

Your Lego Lorry is coming along nicely ,

Nick

Ray Dunakin

Looks great, especially the engine!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Gordon Ferguson

Quote from: shropshire lad on March 02, 2012, 11:13:28 AM

Nick

Absolutely rubbish, he's not got a clue !!!!!!!!!!!

Barney, looks good but I am definitely going to buy you a new and different colour of Humbrol paint ;)
Gordon

shropshire lad

Quote from: gfadvance on March 03, 2012, 12:35:45 AM
Quote from: shropshire lad on March 02, 2012, 11:13:28 AM

Nick

Absolutely rubbish, he's not got a clue !!!!!!!!!!!

Barney, looks good but I am definitely going to buy you a new and different colour of Humbrol paint ;)

Maybe we should club together and buy him half a dozen new colours .

curb

Sorry Barney, not sure why i called you Gordon..

Thanks for the history on the mobile work shop.
You do fantastic work..

Barney

At last a bit of progress ! after many hicups  - engine now completed (just a few wires and linkages to add) and trial fit in chassis.
Barney

lab-dad

AWESOME!
I LOVE, Love, love the engine stand!
Only the guys here would do/appreciate that effort!
Even down to the polished steel on the wheels!

How did you do the curved sprockets on the crank pulley????

-Marty

Andi Little

I'm going with Marty on this one - simply Brill'!

Loving the engine stand too - smashing little detail, and probably the only bit of the entire project that I could emulate.

Most excellent.
KBO..................... Andi.

Gordon Ferguson

Thats turned out really well Barney ................. mind you it should considering the work you have put into to it .

The little touches of colour and the ? decal/etched plates really bring it to life .

I too really appreciate the engine dolley, much better than my odd pair of tweezers  ;)

Marty, guessing but that pulley looks really like one of Dave's (Vectorcut) bits
Gordon

Ray Dunakin

Stunning! And the engine stand is a brilliant touch!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World