• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

2 of kims boats

Started by 1-32, September 11, 2011, 01:55:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1-32

hi all i am a new member and are still feeling my way around this site.i noticed there was a maratine section just wating for 2 of my boats.
the first 3 photoes are of a free lance waterline diesel costal trader ,stryine and wood construction.it is complete with a peg leg captin.the last 3 photoes are or a sail costal trader modelled after the traditional traders of south asia.these boats were capible of loading 20 tons,and were home to the families for life,wood and paper construction,this is also a waterline model
all the best kim

darrylhuffman

For those of you who would like to see more of Kim Marsh's modeling, his layout, the No Hope Coast, was featured in the Gazette for July/August 2002.

I have two of Kim's locomotives in my personal collection and they will soon be traveling to the tropical jungles surrounding my new home in Star, Idaho.

Thanks Kim for sharing.

I love your work.

Darryl Huffman
Anchorage, Alaska
Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@yahoo.com
The search for someone else to blame is always succcessful.

lenelg

Good to see KimĀ“s work here!
Straight out of an Indiana Jones movie  ;)

1-32

hi darryl i hope that you are keeping those locoes warm in alaska,for those of you that are interested in traders of asia the cia put out a range of books called the blue books during the vietnam war of the 1960.these are a fantistic source of referance as the were used to indentify costal shipping .highly detailed right down to construction details all those wooden dowls.the only copies that i have found are in the libary of the national maritime museum here in sydney.
cheers kim

Andi Little

Just love the character and flavour of these little boats - I've been tempted recently to try something of the like as a distraction from the  real life stuff that keeps getting in the way lately.
I would I think just like to try something a bit on the freelance side initially - simple but with a bit of character?
I've even tried to find some kind of reference's or perhaps even a sympathetic website - but nought yet. Although in truth real life has even got in the way of that!!

For those that remember "Top Yard" it still exists happily; but has simply stalled for want of impetus and inspiration.
KBO..................... Andi.

darrylhuffman

Kim,

I grew up reading the novels of H. Rider Haggard which all took place in darkest Africa.

In my mind, I conjured up visions of open air buildings, home built boats and basic railroads.

Sanders of the River, a movie made in 1936, along with King Solomon's Mines and She brought those images to life even more clearly.

Frank Buck's "Bring Them Back Alive" series added to it.

Your layout and your models remind me so much of the "feel" of those jungles of Africa and islands such as Burma.

It is so refreshing to find something other than the standard garage full of track with huge yards.

I look forward to your future offerings.

Thanks for sharing.

Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@yahoo.com

1-32

i can relate to adventures on the dark side perhaps you never came across the english empire adventure themes.the story is a bit dated now but a lot of the illistrations and themes are great.
on my wish list are the traders used on the amazon river or were  ,great smallboats.open deck around the passanger area ,open bridge ,shallow draft and a visual cargo area.this stye was bashed around the world.
great scene light railway and some type of bush boat-port.
ah dreams
cheers kim

Ray Dunakin

Very nice! I remember seeing that article in the Gazette, didn't realize it was yours.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

1-32

ah no hope coast it is hard to believe that was 9 years ago.it was the first model that i felt that i really dont care anymore.i suppose  i could have stayed in that subject but i get board easially.so off to the late 20 centuary and the challenge is to add character to steel and concrete the only saviour is rust and concrete cancer
cheers kim

Carlo

kim -
I missed the Gazette article on "No Hope Coast".
Are there pictures on-line?
Carlo

1-32

hi
google-no hope coast.
cheers

darrylhuffman

Carlo.

Mario Rapinette has a collection of Kim Marsh photos on this page:

http://www.modvid.com.au/html/body_kim_marsh.html
Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@yahoo.com

darrylhuffman

And there is another page of photos here:

http://members.optushome.com.au/jdennis/nohope/frameset.html

Click on the photos on the left to enlarge them.
Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@yahoo.com

darrylhuffman

Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@yahoo.com