• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Sovereign of the seas 1637/ 1:96/ scratch build

Started by DORIS, November 17, 2010, 01:06:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc_reusser

HOLY COW!...this just gets more incredible with every post. I am really out of superlatives to decribe your work.

Thanks for the update. greatly appreciated.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Malachi Constant

Beautiful work and amazing detail!  Thank you for your efforts to continue posting photos here, Doris!

-- Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Chuck Doan

Almost beyond words. Incredible workmanship and dedication!
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Frederic Testard

I can't even imagine myself starting such a work... I have no words to say how admirative I am in front of such a magnificent model.
Frederic Testard

finescalerr

I was able to preview this post a couple of days ago on the maritime modeling website where Doris regularly posts. I followed the links and studied every photo. I was stunned. -- Russ

BKLN

Every time Doris gives us an update, I am just lost because I have no idea what to write. I really don't care much for ships, but this is just unbelievable!

Ray Dunakin

I can only echo the comments of the others -- truly stunning work! It deserves to be in a museum.

I would go nuts if I had to sculpt all those decorations.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

eTraxx

I was sitting here, reading the comments after admiring Doris' work and was reminded of a passage from a novel by David Drake - "With the Lightnings" .. Tovera is talking to Adele. Tovera tells her ... "There's a piece of me missing. Do you think I don't know that? I can watch other people, mistress. Its like running my fingers around the edges of the hole, but that doesn't put the piece back."

That's me. I look at Doris' work .. and can just feel the edges ... :p
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

jacq01

Doris,
    this is a fantastic project. 
    With all the other ships made, do you exhibit alt shows ?  Have you been to the Intermodellbau in Dortmund, do you have plans to show your work there ?

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

EZnKY

Doris,
I'll jump on the bandwagon here and add my congratulations on your amazing work!

Is the correct word "úžasný"?

Your sculpting skill is what I find the most incredible.  I just can't do that sort of thing - it's a gift.
Eric Zabilka
Lexington, Kentucky

TRAINS1941

God that's just beautiful.  Never have seen anything like it before.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

DORIS

Hello dear friends!
I am extremely honored and appreciate your words a lot. Thank you all very much for your compliments! This is a great motivation for me and my work.
jacq01: I have to say, that I am not able to show my models on exhibitions a lot, because I have problem with the transport and have no money for travelling. :-( I keep all these models at home in one special room, where  visitors can look round my models anytime. But if I had possibilities, I would like to visit exhibitions and take there some of my models:

EZnKY: Of course, your translation is right and for me very pleasant. That´s  great to hear this word "úžasný", but in my work there are a lot of things, that need improvement. I am not perfect. On this forum there are many great modelers who are more level above me.
I admire what you are able to create and I am glad and very honored that I can share this hobby  with you.

Here are some new pics from progress, I made paper ornaments and continue with decorations:

The parrot is all the time during the building with me and loves, when I take photos.

jacq01

Doris,

Quotebecause I have problem with the transport and have no money for travelling.

normally when invited for an exhibition, all travelling and hotel costs are paid by the organisation. 

Your work surely can easily stand with the very best I have seen at exhibitions in Belgium, Germany, France and the UK.

The biggest problem will be the packing of the ships with all the delicate rigging.

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

finescalerr

I agree: All an exhibition would have to do is look at the images and they would find the money to bring over Doris and her models. Or perhaps an art gallery or museum would want her to show and talk about her work.

On the other hand she says she's really not a very good modeler, that her work is "imperfect", and that we could do better. Let's have a "Build the Sovereign of the Seas in 1:96 from Paper" contest and see who wins!

Russ

Frederic Testard

I volunteer to make two planks. I'm not sure I can do them as nicely as Doris does, though.
Frederic Testard