• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Sovereign of the seas 1637/ 1:96/ scratch build

Started by DORIS, November 17, 2010, 01:06:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junior

Amazing work Doris! Would be most interesting to see a tutorial on for instance that table with the maps etc. Not only the construction but also how it´s painted.

Anders ??? ;D

DORIS

Hello dear colleagues!
It is my pleasure to read your comments, I appreciate it very much. Thank you for your words!
Self-adhesive foils/films are a very good way how to improve the model. The durability is excellent and without changes for almost unlimited time in interior. The temperature or moisture doesn´t affect it. I used these foils also in exterior and after 10 years they look still very good. I recommend using brand-name foils. There is no problem with quality.
Now I am working on the interior of the hull below decks and prepare everything for gilded decorations. I also started to make first gun-carriages. Wooden planking of the hull was improved by painting for older-look. I use Tamiya colours thinned by water.

And of course together with my small feathered friend:

finescalerr

At this stage would anybody guess Doris built the model from paper? -- Russ

eTraxx

Remarkable isn't it? I was struck a while back at Doris' willingness to use things like the foils, automotive lacquer and such as needed. It seems to me that the reverse should also be true .. that those who use plastic and brass should be willing to use paper where appropriate. Looking at Doris' work .. 'where appropriate' would appear to be - most anywhere.
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

Philip Smith

Hello Doris,
Your gun carriages look nice!
Amazingly beautiful work!

Philip

finescalerr

I have mentioned before that the top paper craftsmen use wire and wood where necessary and their finishes are every bit as sophisticated as the plastic military modelers' work. Reinforcing card with CA, lacquers, or sealants results in something like a cross between wood and styrene. So what paper guys do is really the same as what we do but it requires more scratchbuilding. -- Russ

chester

This goes back a ways but I remember when my wife was a Den Mother for a Cub Scout troop and they made paper. Of course to get their home made paper they ground up paper and mixed with water to make a pulp. Rolled and patted it out and laid it flat on a screen wire to dry.
  Why wouldn't casting with paper pulp be a technique worth trying? (sorry my plate is very full right now)

DORIS

Thank you warmly for your comments and feedback. Really appreciate it. It is for me a great honor.
Gun carriages didn´t survive by this time so I have to guess their size according the pictures. On the model there are more types of carriages, some of them are about 2 cm long (in 1/96 scale), some ones on upper decks are smaller.
Some cannons from real Sos were 274 cm long, have survived two types and they are kept in the museum. Here is a photo:
http://www.modelforum.cz/download/fi...3521&mode=view
I have just started to work on decorations, so I show here some of my technologies.

Added decorative strips from golden foils

DORIS

Bringing technological process for the production of decorative columns:
Most of the columns at the pictures will be placed on both sides of the  hull.
I use modeling clay.  For shaping it is necessary cold water, soap, tweezers and sharp knife. And a lot of patience of course.....
I made a template to  achieve the same shape and size of posts.

Modeling clay is baked in the oven at 130 ° C.

DORIS

After spraying of gold acrylic paint:

And first decorations on the model:

TRAINS1941

Wow the patience of a saint!!!

Just remarkable work!

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

finescalerr

Would it be safe to say that Doris is a master craftsman? -- Russ

RoughboyModelworks

Quote from: finescalerr on December 21, 2010, 01:24:59 PM
Would it be safe to say that Doris is a master craftsman? -- Russ
Yes, I believe it would be safe to say that...

Paul

Ray Dunakin

Great stuff, and such a beautiful ship with all that fancy gold trim.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World