• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Bedford QL relic @ 24th scale

Started by turtle, November 09, 2014, 01:48:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lab-dad

Great thread.
Great modeling.
Great technique.
Very impressive.

-Marty

Andi Little

Must admit - this really is all rather terribly good.

Very well done ... I mean seriously - VERY WELL DONE!
KBO..................... Andi.

Design-HSB

Hi Roger,

you show here what is possible with love to detail and accurate work.
I actually like no military vehicles, your work must acknowledge, however.
Especially since I grew up as a child in the British zone of occupation in Germany and the vehicles have experienced yet live.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

Peter_T1958

Spectacular work, Roger! 
Torn between possibilities of 3d modelling and traditional craftsmanship it is good to see what you are doing here and I feel strengthened in going back on my workbench with my old-fashioned fret saw full of styrene dust ...
Thanks to your amazing work I feel top motivated to continue my own work with renewed vigour, thanks!

Peter
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" -Leonardo Da Vinci-

https://industrial-heritage-in-scale.blogspot.ch/

Hydrostat

Hi Roger,

that's somewhat extraordinary ... very convincing results. A lot of work involved. How often did you have to restart a tread pattern because of a wrong cut?

Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

Gordon Ferguson

Hi Roger, good to see you here ....... Thought your stuff might go down well.

Even though I have seen the tyre stuff before it still leaves me speechless, might be easy and simple for you but you may need to give a few of us time to catch up.

How about posting a few snapshots of your completed builds just to appreciate the range of your work
Gordon

Hauk

Spectacular modeling!
Thanks for sharing!
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

Juke Joint

turtle

Many thanks to all for the comments and encouraging words.

Helmut - Although I am ex-military, like you I have little interest in actual 'green' vehicles, preferring instead to model them in their second life with their often quite bright colour schemes. It is the vehicle not it's
                    former intended use that appeals to me.       

Peter - I'm just an old-school traditional modeller, you definitely will not find any 3D modelled parts in my stuff  ;), for me the KISS principle is the law here  ;D.

Volker - It's a fairly rare occasion when I mess up while doing the treads, as with most modelling methods/techniques the 7P's apply:
                   Prior Planning and Preparation Prevents P**s Poor Performance  ;)
                   But approximately 1 out of ten will be 'shown the inside of a rubbish bin'  :(
                   This is just one of those areas where you have to slow down and check and recheck before committing plastic to knife.

Gordon:D All in good time. Just thought I'd dip my toes in the water first before diving in  ;)

Thanks again to all, but please feel free to point out any areas that need additional work  :)

Barney

Welcome - this is very nice stuff in fact very very nice - is it all scratch built or is part kit bits - just keep it coming along with inspiration
Barney

voyager

Hi Roger! Told you your work would be appreciated here! Glad to hear you are practicing your painting, it would be nice to see a finished model ;D

You know how much I love your work so this may be sacrilege (!) but the tyres on the QL have always seemed to me to have a very straight sidewall, whereas those on the photo of the 1:1 seem more curved/ballooned to the point that the treads running down the sidewall are themselves curved. This may be due to the deflation but I'm not sure?

I will now crawl back under my rock ;D
Andrew

If it has wheels, I'll have a look!

turtle

Cheers Barney, still a long long way to go before I reach the dizzy heights of your achievements  ;D. And 100% scratchbuilt - I'm a real glutton for punishment  ;).
Andrew - valid points and notes taken. A couple of the tyres could have had a bit more curvature, unfortunately the model photos don't really show the amount they truly had - well that's my excuse and I'll stick with it  :D, however as said, points taken onboard and as the teachers always said "must try harder"  :-[.
::) I'd love to see a finished model very soon to  :D, maybe with the S-65 crawler  :-*.

1-32

apart from your great modeling i like your photoes lovely velvet, hi definition .
what is your tecknique
regards kim

turtle

Hi Kim,
I'm probably the last one to ask about photography - point and shoot is my technique  :D.
Camera is a cheap Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z20, tripod mounted with a card background and a couple of soft daylight bulbs lights overhead. Camera settings are left on A(auto) and white balance set to suit the light bulbs and when appropriate I'll push the Macro button. Almost all photos are taken at night.
Depth of field and all the other photographic terms are beyond my intelligence level so I stick with the KISS principle.

1-32

you do very well do you have a special lens, auto focus?
regards