• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Sandy Hollow

Started by 1-32, November 30, 2020, 05:48:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1-32

Hi Frithjof.
Yes started the trial looks good over a period of time I will use it. Good advice.
cheers.

WP Rayner

Love the old duffer out for a scoot Kim... the lady seems to be somewhat impressed! The figures fit very well into the scene.
Paul

Stay low, keep quiet, keep it simple, don't expect too much, enjoy what you have.

1-32

morning Paul.
yes thanks now I will fill in the missing pieces since I have got a better reference for my rail motor the cab is too high  back to the cutting shop.
cheers

1-32

evening all wishing you all the very best of health.
Moving along moving into the backyard great to get the first picture together it is going to be interesting to see how this scene will work out.
cheers, Kim.

finescalerr

You have enough creativity and talent to make it more than just "work out". I'm waiting to see how you tie everything together. -- Russ

1-32

Morning Russ.
Thanks but really I don't think this will ever be finished I will just keep adding and changing the scene but my aim is to highlight Australia.
Before international travel and the internet, we produced many unique items and one of the funny sidelines of the world closing its borders that many are being re-discovered.
cheers

1-32

form and tying it together.
In the recent picture of the backyard, form is lacking even if it is a messy scene just think of an overgrown semi-tropical garden looking at it in the morning the foliage of the second tree needs attention and the clothesline also,small jobs but really tricky.
cheers

finescalerr

Do you have enough flexibility in the design to move the tracks farther from the house? -- Russ

Hydrostat

Kim,

I think the twig is completely out of scale. It just looks like what it is: a 1-1 scale twig. For my opionion It gives the whole scene away (and the scene has pretty darn lots of character!). Same with the clothesline, which is much to thick (as long as it is a line at the prototype and not a metak rod or tube or something). Addtitinally I think the three pigeons staggering at the same time is abit overdone. Do you maybe have some sitting calmly - and only one just arriving?

Cheers,
Volker

I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

1-32

morning.
Thanks for the observations I find them really helpful especially if you do freelance the second opinion makes all the difference.
So moving on.4 new pictures .
The first is my finished rail motor the portions work basically I have cut 3 mm off the height of the cab and lowered the chassis by 2 mm let's say one-quarter of a inch. After seeing better references I realized how squat the original is my adjustments follow these observations.
The second picture shows the now trimmed back yard the main tree is less bulky but I have left the fallen branch that follows the back boundary. I really like this as it finishes the scene and is very typical.
The third is a picture that shows a house that is definitely being overgrown food for thought.
And the fourth is a possible extension to the trackside of the model, one of the few Australian rivers that are on the edge of the wilderness this would work well for the river section .
and lastly the track next to the house this is also typical of the sugar cane growing area of tropical Australia and I also want one my own private railway to do the shopping with.
cheers.

Lawrence@NZFinescale

Quote from: Hydrostat on June 04, 2021, 12:54:44 AM
Kim,

I think the twig is completely out of scale. It just looks like what it is: a 1-1 scale twig. For my opionion It gives the whole scene away (and the scene has pretty darn lots of character!). Same with the clothesline, which is much to thick (as long as it is a line at the prototype and not a metak rod or tube or something). Addtitinally I think the three pigeons staggering at the same time is abit overdone. Do you maybe have some sitting calmly - and only one just arriving?

Cheers,
Volker

I find roots are excellent for this sort of thing.  Usefully collected from river beds after floods in NZ, although when in the UK I collected them from freshly ploughed fields adjacent to hedgerows.
Cheers,

Lawrence in NZ
nzfinescale.com

1-32

Hi Lawrence.
We are bubble friends crazy hey.
My favorite natural roots and grasses always on the lookout, mosses another favorite. There is a company in Italy that specializes in natural products I think they are called Diosphere ? great stuff especially the olive tree branches but I don't know how they would go getting through border control.
The best ground cover locally came from Chuck's ballast ever heard of him? Chuck used to travel around looking for dust and dirts and then sell them with the location attached he also did clays -but what happened to Chuck?
cheers

1-32

just reminded me.
Do we all have this kitchen aid to produce our own textures?

finescalerr

You mean those things aren't for spaghetti? --  Russ

Lawton Maner

We do!  And, in the fall when the boss isn't looking the blender is used to chop dead leaves into ground cover for wood lots.