• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

"The Wizard"

Started by lab-dad, May 22, 2013, 04:51:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck Doan

Paint! That is looking fine Marty. For me the painting/weathering is the scariest thing to start when I am doing "metal" stuff. What did you use as a primer/surface prep on the brass?

The arty shot is excellent too!
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

lab-dad

Thanks Guys!

Volker & Unc, not to worry. The brass will get the proper "patina" to match the rest of the locomotive.
I am starting with an engine in fairly good shape.
It is much easier to weather a model that unweather it!
And remember this is a "progress shot, it aint done.

The painting was done with etching primer and Scalecoat paints.
I'm using engine & loco black and their clears where appropriate.
Also some other blacks here and there.

I hope to get the engine on next............

Marty

danpickard

Doh, no one ever takes photo's of Shay's from that side...what happened there???  ;D

Excellent anniversary progress though Marty!

Cheers,
Dan

lab-dad

Thanks Dan
The reason for pictures of "that side" was there was no engine installed!

Here is a short video of the now installed engine in operation.
I hope the link works.

http://s263.photobucket.com/user/lab-dad-jones/media/0A5013C5-98E6-4F28-94CB-06DEDE77A9F2_zps8cp63564.mp4.html

Marty

Bill Gill

Nifty! And, now we know the rest of the story. Sounds like the engineering dept wouldn't let the public affairs photographer peek at the right side. But now all (almost?) is revealed.

TRAINS1941

An the gears go up & down.  Awesome!!!

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

marc_reusser

Happy anniversary!  Kudos on a lovely build so far.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Hauk

Quote from: Hydrostat on May 22, 2015, 12:31:20 PM
Congrats, Marty, looks very good!

Don't tell me you're really going to leave the brass parts that shiny ...  :-\

Volker

Patience, my friend!
If it has not been given a coat of clear laquer it will tarnish quit nicely in a couple of years. Especially if there are chemically blackened parts anywhere near it.
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

lab-dad

The builders plates arrived yesterday!
I wasted no time in getting it installed.

Again - MANY THANKS to Volker!

Here they are just out of their little black bags;

raw bronze, raw brass and FUD.

I ended up using the bronze. As far as I am concerned the FUD was useless for this.

Almost done! (for now)
-Marty

TRAINS1941

That is so cool.  Nice job Volker.

Well that sure does make a loco look right.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Hydrostat

Looks great, Marty! You should have told me that it was going to be mounted on a rounded surface :D; it is no problem to make a bent CAD model.

What was the reason for using the bronze instead of the brass? The brass looks even a bit more crisp at the picture but this may result from lighting situation.

Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

finescalerr

Most satisfactory. I award Marty and Volker the gold medal for collaborative modeling. -- Russ

Ray Dunakin

Stunning! It's like you just shrank the real thing down to size.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

artizen

It is my dream to one day build a loco which will be called Dazed and Confused. Dazed on one side, Confused on the other! (Long live Zoso!!!!!) Now I know where to go to get the plates made.
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding - an English Gentleman's Whimsy in 1:24 scale Gn15 (in progress)
On the Slate and Narrow - in 1:12 scale (coming soon)
Brisbane, Australia

Chuck Doan

Those look great! Refresh me on the process? Are the metal ones lost wax cast from printed wax?

I have a part I need in metal soon, and I was planning on using the Shapeways brass process. This looks very promising.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/