• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Modeling Willamette Blocks

Started by dandy97, May 14, 2011, 05:37:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dandy97

Finally found a bit of time last night to work on a few Willamette pieces for an area of my 1:20.3 layout. I completed the CAD models last night and am going to try and build a few of each in one of our SLS RP machines tonight. Here's a couple pictures of the rendered CAD models.

High Lead Block with 36" diameter sheave

Loading Block with 18" diameter sheave

I used my copy of the 1925 Willamette Iron & Steel Works full line catalog as a reference for developing the CAD models.

I will post pictures of the finished models as soon as I have them out of the machine. I'm interested to see if the letters will resolve or not. I'm pretty sure they will be fine on the 336R but I am thinking that they will be too small to resolve on the 418R. This will be a good experiment.

A few statistics for those that care about such things:
CAD models done in Solidworks 2011 - about 3 hours modeling time for both
Photo renderings done in one of our ray tracing softwares - all default settings, no tinkering with the lighting or scene - 29 min each rendering time
STL files optimized and build setup with Materialize Magics

Dan

Design-HSB

Hi Dan,
I've also started to create such CAD models, I am also curious about the result.
The results I've seen are in fact promising.
I think in your standard should already have some of the letters to be seen.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

Mobilgas

Dan,    Wow ;D  wish i could learn how to do Cad Work.  Theres only about 50 old gas station items i would like to do ??? and sent to PAP
Craig

lab-dad

Amazing, interesting, inspiring and really cool!
Should you decide to ever sell some of these I would love one of the 336's
Thanks for showing us, looking forward to the "real thing"
-Marty

Ray Dunakin

Very impressive CAD work!

Like Craig, I too wish I could do that stuff. I bought a CAD program when I got my new iMac in 2007. I figured that with my experience in 3D modeling/rendering, it would be a snap to figure out CAD. Boy was I wrong! Nothing about it makes much sense. For instance, how are you supposed to know what size your model is, if there's no rulers?

I can spend time doing "real" modeling projects, or I can set everything aside for a few weeks/months/years to try to learn some bizarrely obtuse software.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

W.P. Rayner

Very nice renderings Dan. Looking forward to seeing how the rapid-prototyped pieces come out.

Paul

marc_reusser

Beautiful renderings. Thanks for the "stats". I look forward to seeing how these turn out. Please keep us posted.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

JohnP

Goodness those are pretty renderings.

I may need to buy a bigger (really bigger) computer to match that. Must be fun to have it available at work!

Thanks for sharing, John
John Palecki

Chuck Doan

Wow! Looks great, nice job of modelling.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

dandy97

Here's a few sets of parts fresh out of the SLS machines... well Saturday they were fresh out anyway

The set of parts on the left, darker in color, is glass filled nylon and the other three sets are nylon with no glass fill. I wanted to try the glass filled version because it adds a little more texture that would be like the texture of a casting at this scale. The problem with the glass fill is that the particle size is somewhat larger so the resolution is not as good. You can see the "roller bearing" didn't come out on the larger part on the left. The letters resolved nicely on the large parts without glass fill. No dice on the lettering on the smaller blocks. I'm going to try a set on our 3D printer, I'm thinking the lettering will show up even on the smaller pieces. Hopefully I can run them in a day or two. I think one would have to live without the lettering if you wanted the parts in 1:48th scale... I might try a set on the 3D printer just to see as long as we are experimenting.

Now it's on to the paint department to paint these up and make them look like well used sheaves. Plus I have more Willamette stuff I want to model up and make for the project I am working on.

Dan

dandy97

Quote from: Ray Dunakin on May 14, 2011, 09:06:52 PM
For instance, how are you supposed to know what size your model is, if there's no rulers?

I model everything full scale or 1:1, then I scale it down to make the STL file. That way I can make the parts any scale I want.

Chuck Doan

Are you doing individual parts (sides, sheave etc.)and assembling them, or printing the assembly as one part?

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

marc_reusser

Dan,

Those came out beautiful. If you are interested, I have catalogs of WISCO (Washington Iron Works), and of Clyde Iron Works logging blocks, sheaves, and carriages......same time-frame as the Willamette catalog.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

dandy97

Quote from: Chuck Doan on May 16, 2011, 01:12:17 PM
Are you doing individual parts (sides, sheave etc.)and assembling them, or printing the assembly as one part?

I modeled all of the parts individually and assembled them in Solidworks in an assembly. Since I only need static models for my use, I made my STL of the whole assembly in one file. I could make individual parts and put them together if needed.

dandy97

Quote from: marc_reusser on May 16, 2011, 01:24:14 PM
If you are interested, I have catalogs of WISCO (Washington Iron Works), and of Clyde Iron Works logging blocks, sheaves, and carriages......same time-frame as the Willamette catalog.

Yes, I would be very interested. I have a number of things I would like to do for my latest project. I haven't had a lot of time to spend in the past but I'm trying to make some time for things that I enjoy. Shoot me an e-mail or a PM and we will figure out how trade some info, or other stuff...

Dan