• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Rust on bridges

Started by eTraxx, May 25, 2010, 03:48:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eTraxx

You hear .. ".. you've overdone the rust on that bridge .. they (who ever the powers-that-be are) would never allow rust like that .."

Columbus Swing Bridge, Lowndes Co., MS

Hi-Res of above ...
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

JohnP

Americans like to build new things but then we get tired of them and ignore them. Maintenance is something to be cut back until the structure fails. Then we get to build a new one again.

Yeah, I'm cynical but that photos speaks volumes. I was once under a heavy plate girder bridge on an eastern mainline railroad. The web (1/2" steel maybe) was actually rotted through at the bottom flange angles, and the ends of the track stringers didn't rest on the abutments so they bent up and down at every train. Maybe the inspector never got down there.

John
John Palecki